FeatherWing MusicMaker VS1053

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
perrycannon

FeatherWing MusicMaker VS1053

Post by perrycannon »

I have a the feather wing music maker VS1053 that I received with ADABOX 004. I am using it with the Feather Huzzah ESP8266 that also came with ADABOX 004. The VS1053 continuously resets when playing files from the SD card. The VS1053 will begin playing a file then continuously resets.

The Feather Huzzah ESP8266 is ok, works great, even with the VS1053 attached (not used).

I was able to stream internet radio stations. I cannot play mp3, wav from the SD card. I have reformatted the SD card, quick, and overwrite format.

I wanted to make something for halloween.

I am using the feather_player example, and also the player_simple example with the same results.

Thank you
Perry

adafruit_support_mike

Re: FeatherWing MusicMaker VS1053

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

You're probably seeing watchdog timer resets from the ESP8266.

The ESP8266 has a simple operating system that swaps between your code and the code that keeps the Wifi interface running. Both sides have to cooperate though, which means your code has to call yield() every so often to give the OS a chance to feed the Wifi. If the OS goes too long without being able to do that, the watchdog timer trips and the board can reboot.

Try using the non-interrupt version of the VS1053 code, avoid .playFullFile() (basically a big wait loop that will trigger a WDT reset), use .startPlayingFile() instead, and call yield() at the top of loop().

Bobby_Y

Re: FeatherWing MusicMaker VS1053

Post by Bobby_Y »

Hello,
It is my understanding that you are able to stream music from internet using ESP8266.
Would you let me know how you did that.
I like to stream music to ESP8266 and then connect it to my old stereo amplifier at
home to play music.
I have bought about 3 of these devices but they all loose WI-FI connection after a
few minutes.

Thanks
Bobby

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”