Feather Bluefruit nRF52 Timed out waiting for acknowledgemen

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
muzzleburst

Feather Bluefruit nRF52 Timed out waiting for acknowledgemen

Post by muzzleburst »

Howdy Adafruit Support,

I was instructed from [email protected] to post this issue to the forum.

I ordered two of the Adafruit Feather nRF52 Bluefruit boards about a couple of weeks ago. One of them is working perfectly fine, and the other one is unable to be programmed via the Arduino program using the USB cable.

The error is as follows:

Code: Select all

Sketch uses 20700 bytes (12%) of program storage space. Maximum is 167936 bytes.
Global variables use 2748 bytes (5%) of dynamic memory, leaving 48324 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 51072 bytes.
Upgrading target on /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART with DFU package /private/var/folders/15/c1dlzd0n34x44g27064fps2h0000gn/T/arduino_build_414542/blinky.ino.zip. Flow control is disabled.
Timed out waiting for acknowledgement from device.

Failed to upgrade target. Error is: No data received on serial port. Not able to proceed.

Possible causes:
- Bootloader, SoftDevice or Application on target does not match the requirements in the DFU package.
- Baud rate must be 115200, Flow control must be off.
- Target is not in DFU mode. Ground DFU pin and RESET and release both to enter DFU mode.
The code used is as follows:

Code: Select all

void setup() {
  pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, HIGH);   // turn the LED on (HIGH is the voltage level)
  delay(1000);                       // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(LED_BUILTIN, LOW);    // turn the LED off by making the voltage LOW
  delay(1000);                       // wait for a second
}
I've been using the same computer, software, cable, and setup for both of them, which works well for one of them, but not the other. The test setup is an Apple MacBook Pro 2013 with macOS 10.13.1 running Arduino 1.8.5, connected to the board via an INSIGNIA USB cable, running on port /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART and using the Adafruit Bluefruit nRF52 Feather board configuration.

Upon closer inspection of the board, I noticed that the solder joints on the Si chip USB-to-Serial bridge are incomplete on the board that is not working, compared to the board that is working. The board that is not working does flash the LEDs, alternating blue and red, so the nRF52832 module appears to be working, but just not the Si chip USB to serial bridge.

I attached photos to this post for reference.

What is the process for returning the defective board in exchange for a different one?

The invoice order number for this part is #1574496-6132073592.

Thanks a bunch!
-Robert
Attachments
Adafruit Feather nRF52 Full Bad Solder
Adafruit Feather nRF52 Full Bad Solder
Adafruit_Feather_nRF52_Full_Bad_Solder.jpg (813.9 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Adafruit Feather nRF52 Detail Good Solder
Adafruit Feather nRF52 Detail Good Solder
Adafruit_Feather_nRF52_Detail_Good_Solder.jpg (57.89 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Adafruit Feather nRF52 Detail Bad Solder
Adafruit Feather nRF52 Detail Bad Solder
Adafruit_Feather_nRF52_Detail_Bad_Solder.jpg (60.01 KiB) Viewed 447 times

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Feather Bluefruit nRF52 Timed out waiting for acknowledg

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The two images are blown up enough that I can't see any difference in the joints that would be outside normal variation.

Let's try another approach: Open System Information, select the USB pane, connect each Feather to the Mac, and press CMD-R to re-scan the bus connections. What do you see for each device?

muzzleburst

Post by muzzleburst »

Howdy Mike,

Thanks for checking in! Very interesting finding: both boards report into the System Information USB area, as indicated in the screenshots attached to this post.

Is it possible for the board that is not working that any of the following are true:

* USB bridge chip is able to communicate with the MacBook, but this chip is unable to communicate with the nRF52832 via the RX/TX serial lines between the two chips.

* A software problem on the MacBook relating to macOS or Arduino programs that allows one board to be programmed but not the other.

Thanks a bunch for any tips or suggestions for troubleshooting this.
-Robert
Attachments
Bluefruit_Feather_nRF52_does_not_work.png
Bluefruit_Feather_nRF52_does_not_work.png (179.26 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Bluefruit Feather nRF52_works.png
Bluefruit Feather nRF52_works.png (179.78 KiB) Viewed 420 times

muzzleburst

Post by muzzleburst »

Howdy Mike,

I was able to get to a microscope with camera to take a couple of photos. I attached them to this post. The solder joints on the board that is working are quite prominent, whereas the board that is not working, the joints are a lot less consistent compared to the working board.

Thanks a bunch,
-Robert
Attachments
Bluefruit Feather nRF52 SIL 2104 Non Working Board
Bluefruit Feather nRF52 SIL 2104 Non Working Board
Bluefruit_Feather_nRF52_SIL_2104_NonWorking_Board.jpg (263.28 KiB) Viewed 410 times
Bluefruit Feather nRF52 SIL 2104 Working Board
Bluefruit Feather nRF52 SIL 2104 Working Board
Bluefruit_Feather_nRF52_SIL_2104_Working_Board.jpg (280.32 KiB) Viewed 410 times

adafruit_support_mike

Those images are much clearer, thank you.

Let's try one more thing at the software level: open System Preferences and select the Network pane, and delete everything that looks like a USB modem. The OS tries to cache information about USB devices it's seen before, because that makes it easier to reconnect them later. Microcontroller boards can confuse it though, since they have nearly identical hardware. Sometimes the old cache files get in the way, and prevent the system from opening a proper connection.

muzzleburst

Post by muzzleburst »

Howdy Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at the System Preferences Network area without either board connected, as well as having each board connected on its own. There was a Wi-Fi, Bluetooth PAN, and a Thunderbolt Bridge listed as indicated in the screenshot attached to this post.

Thanks!
-Robert
Attachments
System_Preferences_Network.png
System_Preferences_Network.png (297.22 KiB) Viewed 390 times

muzzleburst

Post by muzzleburst »

Howdy Mike,

I ordered two more Bluefruit Feather nRF52's and got them in the mail today (as I need a working one for this weekend). Both of them are working along with one of the other two. So currently, I have three of them that work, and one that does not work (the one mentioned in this post).

Thanks a bunch,
-Robert

adafruit_support_mike

Yeah, I think we can throw in the towel on that one.

Send a note containing a link to this thread and your original order number to [email protected]. The folks there will get you another nRF52 Feather.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”