ESP32 not showing in IDE
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

ESP32 not showing in IDE

by sekramer10 on Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:29 pm

I recently got the ESP32 feather and it was working for a few days but it is not showing in the Arduino IDE boards list. Also the examples are not listed. The com port and network port are listed. In device manager it is named "Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge". I followed the update instructions for the repository which I think ran correctly but nothing changed, even after restarting the IDE and computer a few times. I recently reinstalled the Arduino IDE just before installing the ESP32 (Windows10). I haven't made any modifications to it since then.

sekramer10

Re: ESP32 not showing in IDE

by tychsy89 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:40 am

I had to install the drivers, then paste some files into the directory Arduino was being run out of... You should be able to select the feather esp32 device along with many other esp variants even without the drivers

My guess is that you copied the files from espressif to the wrong place, you should be able to find your sketchbook directory from within arduino.

I think your answer is contained within the following link:

https://github.com/espressif/arduino-es ... /README.md

tychsy89

by tychsy89 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:44 am

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-all ... -a-library

This link may also be helpful, it shows you how to find your sketchbook dir

tychsy89

by sekramer10 on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:18 pm

Thanks I got it working by changing the sketchbook directory and then installing it into that directory.

sekramer10

by proemer on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:43 pm

A really dumb question... I'm trying to follow the set up instructions for the Feather HUZZA ESP32 on github (for the thermal camera)... but how do I,

"open a Git Bash session pointing to ARDUINO_SKETCHBOOK_DIR and execute git submodule update --init --recursive
Open [ARDUINO_SKETCHBOOK_DIR]/hardware/espressif/esp32/tools and double-click get.exe"

Can some explain? Or suggest a simpler way to set up the Feather?

Thanks, Pete

proemer

by proemer on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:06 pm

OK, the second line I understand, but I'm still puzzled by:

"open a Git Bash session pointing to ARDUINO_SKETCHBOOK_DIR and execute git submodule update --init --recursive"

Can someone explain or post screen shots of doing this?

Thanks, from a confused amateur!

Pete

proemer

by adafruit_support_mike on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:13 am

Wow.. that's impressively opaque.

In human language, there's a tool that will download the board support package for you, but you have to start by downloading that (or more accurately, the tools to download it).

In the landscape around you are two programs that play a part in making everything work. One is named 'git' an the other is named 'bash'.

Git is a version-control system.. a tool that lets programmers work with a collection of files, change them, and distribute the most recent version to anyone who wants to use the code. You don't have to understand it in any detail right now, just know that it's the box where all the code comes from.

Bash is a command-line interface.. what everyone used before we had GUIs. Git was written by geeks for geeks, and geeks generally talk to git through the command line. The fact that the command line interface used in the instructions is named 'bash' is about as relevant to the download process as the fact that today is Monday (e.g: not at all).

The instructions begin by telling you to download/install the git software from its home on the internet. That software package includes a simple GUI-based front end for talking to git, which you use to get started.

In Git, a group of files is called a 'repository' and getting a copy of a repository is called 'cloning'. 'Cloning the repo' means 'downloading a copy of the files to my computer' in standard human. You have to tell git where the repository lives (generally a URL) so it can get them, and where to put them on your computer (a folder). In this case, the repo lives at Github and you want to download it into your Arduino sketchbook folder.

Once you have the repo, things get a bit weird. The thing you downloaded isn't the ESP32 board support package, only a set of tools *to* download the BSP.

In git, it's possible to have a repository that contains another repository. The one inside the other is called a 'submodule', and there are technical reasons for using submodules (making it possible to use parts of a project in some other project). None of those reasons matter to what you're going to do, but you have to use the deep-git-expert commands necessary to work with them.

First you have to get a command line so you can enter the commands at all (the 'git bash session'), then you have to make sure the command line is looking in the directory where the appropriate files live (your sketchbook, where you downloaded the repo). Once you have that done, you enter the command:

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
git submodule update --init --recursive
which basically means "look in the folder I just downloaded, read the information there to find the list of other files you should download, download those, look in those to see if they have lists of more files you should download, and keep doing that until you run out of stuff to fetch."

Once that's done, you'll have a folder in your sketchbook named 'hardware', and inside that should be a program named 'get.exe'.

Run that, and it should install the ESP32 board support package.

Yes, it's convoluted enough that most geeks would object to seeing a process like that used in a movie about computer geeks. In Espressif's defense, the board support package contains a lot of files that have to go in specific places, and Windows isn't automatically friendly to making that happen. You kind of have to build things from the ground up.

adafruit_support_mike

by proemer on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:18 am

Wow! Thanks for a very enlightening lesson! I think I got it now, all except:

"First you have to get a command line so you can enter the commands at all (the 'git bash session'), then you have to make sure the command line is looking in the directory where the appropriate files live (your sketchbook, where you downloaded the repo)."

Is that the windows command line? And how do I make sure it is looking at the sketchbook?

Thanks again... Pete

proemer

by proemer on Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:24 am

OH, I see there is a git command line... and I assume I'd add the sketchbook location to:

"C:\Users\Pete>" ?

(I'm a little slow... but got my start toggling in programs in an Altair, and was just as confused most of the time back then, too.)

Pete

proemer

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 am

Yep.. there are three commands that should make life easier when doing that:

`pwd` (Print Working Directory) will tell you what directory the command line is looking at right now.

`ls` (LiSt) will list the names of all the files in the working directory.

`cd` (Change Directory) will tell the command line to look for files somewhere else.

(the backticks aren't part of the command names by the way.. just a *nix convention for quoting the name of a command)

When in doubt, it's easiest to navigate one directory at a time.. use `ls` to get a directory listing for where you are now, find the name of the sub-folder you want to go to, use `cd [directory-name]` to move the command line there, and then use `ls` again.

The Bash command line has a shortcut that will save you some trouble entering filenames: just type the first few letters of the directory name and then hit the tab key. Bash will look for anything in the current working directory whose name starts with those letters and type the rest of the name for you.

adafruit_support_mike

by proemer on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:01 am

I think I get it now. Thanks.

I should have known this was more or less like Linux... of which I knew a few bits.

I surly do appreciate the Adafruit support.

Pete

proemer

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:43 am

Glad to hear it helped. Happy hacking!

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.