Bluetooth connection between M0 Feather Bluefruit LE to MacB
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bluetooth connection between M0 Feather Bluefruit LE to MacB

by rsimar on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:35 pm

Hi there,

I am trying to get a bluetooth connection going between my OSX MacBook and the Feather M0 Bluefruit LE (great board, BTW).

I can get a connection going to my iPhone, but am stuck on trying to get the MacBook to recognize the Feather. Any thoughts on this?

All the best,
Ray

rsimar

Re: Bluetooth connection between M0 Feather Bluefruit LE to

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:52 am

It depends on where you're looking for the connection.

Bluetooth Low Energy and what's now called Bluetooth Classic are different-and-incompatible protocols that happen to be managed by the same working group (which apparently includes a lot of marketers who like confusingly-similar names).

Your Mac can probably communicate with the Feather's BLE module, but it won't show up in the Bluetooth settings or interface lists. You need a program like our Bluefruit LE Connect to handle the BLE part:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adafrui ... 25974?mt=8

The problem is that BLE only places some general rules on how data should be organized, but leaves developers free to choose any set of messages they want. The OS can't provide blanket coverage for that kind of thing, so it only provides basic support for communicating with the BLE radio. It's up to a specific application to look for available devices, pair with one, transfer data, and figure out what the data means.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.