HUZZAH32-ESP32 Feather Board not recognized

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
deu1

HUZZAH32-ESP32 Feather Board not recognized

Post by deu1 »

I recently purchased one of your HUZZAH32-ESP32 Feather Boards. I will be using it with the TFT Featherwing 2.4” touchscreen, as I want to build the Thermal Imaging Camera shown on your website. I have all the hardware now. My question is: how do I get Arduino IDE to recognize the board. The website says the board is called: Adafruit ESP32 Feather. My board does not show up in the board list. It also says to install SiLabs CP210x driver v5, or the legacy version 4. I am running an iMac desktop with macOS Sierra, v10.12.6.

Your website also suggests I install the legacy version of CP210x because of my computer operating system. On the SiLabs website is claims that it doesn’t support v10.12.6. Do you know if there is a work around so I can have my HUZZAH32-ESP32 Feather Board show up in the Arduino boards list?

Thanks,

Dan Urbauer

adafruit_support_mike

Re: HUZZAH32-ESP32 Feather Board not recognized

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

There are two things you need to install:

1) The driver for the SiLabs CP2104 USB-to-Serial converter that connects the ESP32 to the USB cable
2) The ESP32 board support package for the Arduino IDE.

Those are independent of each other in software terms, but the HUZZAH32 uses both of them.

The CP2104 driver is a simple "download the installer bundle and double click" affair. If the Arduino IDE shows /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART under the Tools->Serial port menu, that much is working.

The instructions for installing the ESP32 board support package are here:

https://github.com/espressif/arduino-es ... ide/mac.md

That will download the files the Arduino IDE uses to add ESP32 boards to the Tools->Board menu.

deu1

Post by deu1 »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the quick reply. I downloaded the CP2104 driver and "/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART" shows under Tools->Serial port menu. So, that much is working. However, I clicked on the github link you gave me and copied and pasted it into the Terminal app. It appeared to load correctly and I don't believe I had an error, but the HUZZAH32 board still does not show "Adafruit ESP32 Feather" in the list of boards. The Adafruit boards that do appear in the list are: Adafruit Feather MO (Native USB port); Adafruit Feather 32u4; Adafruit Bluefruit nRF52 Feather; and Adafruit HUZZAH ESP8266. What should I do now? Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
P.S. I have the most up to date Arduino IDE: 1.8.5

adafruit_support_mike

Have you moved your sketchbook to some non-default location?

All the files downloaded as part of the ESP32 board support package need to live in a folder named 'hardware' inside your sketchbook folder. The instructions at Github use the default sketchbook filepath.

deu1

Post by deu1 »

Hi Mike,

I made a boo boo. I think at some point in the recent past I some how messed up my Arduino folders, etc. I told you I had been able to make the CP2104 driver work, but when I tried to figure out what I had done to mess up the Arduino folders, the CP2104 now doesn’t show in the Tools ->Port. What I think I need to do is start all over and reinstall Arduino and all of its associated files. I hope you could advise me on how I could do the reinstall and/or how to delete all of the Arduino files. My hard drive is a mess. I need to somehow clean it up and organize it better.
Hope you can help me.

Dan

adafruit_support_mike

If you open the Arduino IDE's preferences, it will give you the location of the sketchbook. If you want to start from scratch, just find that folder and delete it.

You'll also need to go to the Finder, open the 'Go' menu, and then press the option key. You'll see an item named 'Library' appear. That's where things like preferences files are stored, and it's usually hidden to keep people from messing with it.

In this case, you need to mess with it a little.

Select the Library item, find the folder named 'Arduino15', and throw that away.

With those two folders in the Trash, you should be able to start the Arduino IDE and have it create new versions of those folders in locations the IDE knows. If you stick with the default sketchbook location of Documents/Arduino, the ESP32 instructions should work as written.

deu1

Post by deu1 »

Hi Mike,

I now have the Feather board recognized by Arduino IDE, the port: /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART shows in the port list by the Arduino IDE, but when I try to upload the sketch from Examples >>Adafruit AMG88xx library>>thermal_cam_interpolate I get the following error:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Adafruit ESP32 Feather, 80MHz, 921600, None"
WARNING: Spurious .mystools folder in 'MySensors' library
WARNING: Category '' in library ST7775 Display Driver is not valid. Setting to 'Uncategorized'
In file included from /Users/danurbauer/Documents/Arduino/sketch_feb20a/sketch_feb20a.ino:2:0:
/Users/danurbauer/Documents/Arduino/libraries/Adafruit_ILI9341-master/Adafruit_ILI9341.h:162:33: error: no members matching 'Adafruit_GFX::drawRGBBitmap' in 'class Adafruit_GFX' using Adafruit_GFX::drawRGBBitmap; // Check base class first
^
exit status 1
Error compiling for board Adafruit ESP32 Feather.
This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Dan

adafruit_support_mike

That says you need to install the GFX library:

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-GFX-Library

It's a base class for all our displays, and provides graphics primitives like shapes and text.

deu1

Post by deu1 »

Hi Mike,

I have the Adafruit GFX library installed. It shows in the list of libraries in the Arduino list of libraries as Adafruit GFX Library. I also downloaded it again from the github link you gave me and it said that that library already exists.

Suggestions?

Dan

adafruit_support_mike

Delete the one you have and install a fresh copy. It's possible that you have an old version that doesn't have the function in question.

deu1

Post by deu1 »

Hi Mike,

I got the most recent version of Adafruit GFX so I was successful in uploading the sketch. The camera works great. I really want to thank you for sticking with me through this problem. Your advice got it to work. THANK YOU SO MUCH. You guys deliver great customer service. I'm glad I purchased the hardware from Adafruit 'cause you give good customer service. Thanks again for your help.

I'm going to put the camera in a case so I can use it around the house.

Dan
P.S. Hopefully this is the last time you'll hear from me regarding the camera.
Have a Great Day!

adafruit_support_mike

No worries.. there are a lot of moving pieces, and it can be confusing when you're just getting started.

Glad to hear everything is in place and working. Happy hacking!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”