Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 1-2 business days.

Completed: Tickle Brain
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Completed: Tickle Brain

by zenSutherland on Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:13 pm

I'm hoping that we're allowed to post our completed project and the forum isn't just for problem-solving (though it's been a great resource). If that's the case, sorry, please delete.

So for my first project I aspired to create a piece of art for a local art show about interactivity. The Tickle Brain runs off a Feather and a Capacitive Sense module interfaced with a hacked laugh machine. You tickle it in different spots and it laughs. The 'Brain' is a jello mold with copper tape on the inside connected to the Capacitive module. Lots o fun!

In the process I learned arrays and subroutine processing and a bunch of new things (I'm a programmer, but not in C++).

See it in action here (almost complete): https://vimeo.com/286096953

zenSutherland

Re: Completed: Tickle Brain

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:04 am

Nice project! Thanks for posting.

adafruit_support_bill

by AnneBarela on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:44 am

Great project! I've written an Adafruit blog post that should be out in a couple mins. https://blog.adafruit.com/2018/08/22/fr ... -adafruit/

Folks might look to see what language you did it in, where did you get the brain & laugh module, etc.

Feel free to post completed projects on the forums, we love it and feature innovate ones from time to time.

AnneBarela

by zenSutherland on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:41 pm

I tend to ramble, so bear with me - if you want to know more about the project, it's probably best to skim for the detail goodies.

I hadn't picked up a soldering iron in over 30 years, so my first arduino project is messy and probably poorly programmed, but at least it works. In combing the local Goodwill pay-by-the-pound, I found this funny laugh toy, part medical therapy toy called Laffy Laffalot, intended to give to kids to help them through recovery or pain.

I cracked it open, poked around and found i could trigger the laughs with a wire, so conceived of the project and ordered an Adafruit Feather 328p, the Capacitive Sense module and their Lithium-Ion battery. Since Laffy's circuitry ran off 3v, I thought that was the perfect match. When I breadboarded the project for proof of concept, the Laffy circuit was button driven in some way I could only get 7 laughs out of it and considered using small voltage relays to do the triggering of the 20 different laughs, but that just seemed too bulky, So I settled down to the 7 I could get to work with a digital pinout going HIGH.

I also bought a Jello 'brain mold' on eBay and a roll of copper peel-n-stick from a local gardening shop (used to keep slugs away).

After soldering them I stuck them to the inside of the brain and wanted to get them as close to the insides as possible and found that a pencil eraser worked well for this. Synchronistically, it just so happened to be '#2 Pencil Day,' - not a well-known holiday.

Looking for a suitable housing, I found the perfect solution from a plastic trash can with a swinging lid that could be removed and starting mounting things inside there. My soldering technique was ghastly and I had even mounted the pins on the wrong side of the Feather board and found later i couldn't get easily to the reset button. I had to use a micro-switch to RST to do the job for that and it worked out better because I could mount it where one could hit reset without taking off the brain-top. I upgraded the speaker for better sound. I lightly spray painted the inside of the brain to help hide some of the wiring, though it makes it a weird golden color instead of the flesh color i was aiming for. I also got creative with a lot of hot-glue to hold things in place and some white electrical tape to neaten it all up.

Now came the programming, and i found that the while the capacitive touch doesn't require an actual touch, the margin of "almost touching" was pretty slim (measurement of 10-30 units). That was fine except it varied according to temperature and humidity somewhat and how the wires connecting them were arranged. So i finally hit on the idea of first measuring the initial values and plopping those values into an Array in the Setup Loop so that wherever i hit Reset, the relative difference would work fine and wouldn't require any "on site" adjustment.

Here's the code, sloppy as it is and i left the diagnostic Serial.print code in there because it didn't take up much room. Hopefully, I've commented it well enough to get the idea. I set up timing delay Array and other arrays for pins and descriptions.

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
/*********************************************************
  BRAIN LAFF
  This Sketch uses these boards:
    AdaFruit's Feather 328P
    MRP121 12-channel Capacative touch sensor (via I2C)
    The circuit board from Laffy Laffalot

Purpose is to use the capacitive touch sensors attached to
  the inside of jello mold of a brain to detect human touch.
  When touch is detected, the controller sends a signal to the LAFFY
  circuit to generate a specific laugh. The Duration of the laugh
  a random pattern of LEDs flash in the brain.

Pin Set
     Feather

MRP121

Laffy Laffalot Circuit board

**********************************************************/

#include <Wire.h>
#include "Adafruit_MPR121.h"
#include <Time.h>
#include <TimeLib.h>

// You can have up to 4 MRP121 boards on one i2c bus but one is enough for testing!
Adafruit_MPR121 cap = Adafruit_MPR121();

// ARRAYS FOR INPUT ---------------
//   DEFAULT Array for the sense threshhold for each capacative sensor
int TouchTrigger[12] = {144, 160, 148, 144, 148, 158, 148, 155, 100, 100, 100, 100};

//   Array to define pin position
int TouchPin[12] = {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11};

//   Array to determine wait time for each laff so polling doesn't start until done
//    and display lasts same amount of time
//
// Change this to read several times, average and then subtract 15 from those values
//
int TouchWait[12] = {135, 150, 140, 150, 170, 140, 135, 150, 8000, 8000, 8000, 8000};

//  Array for display pins - Cribbed from Joshua Hrisko from engineersportal.com/blog/2018/2/2/arduino-randomly-blinking-multiple-leds-with-only-9-lines-of-code
int leds[6] = {A1, A2, A3, SCK, MOSI, 7};

// ARRAYS FOR OUTPUT (LED & Laughs)
char* LaffDesc[8] = {"Wheeze", "Fliss", "And so he", "High Woman", "Snort", "Child Giggle", "Multi-Children", "Random"};
int  Pin2Laff[8] = {4, 3, 2, 10, 9, 6, 5, 5};

void setup() {  // ------------------------------------ start SETUP  ----------------------------------
  Serial.begin(9600);
  // - Define Yellow signal pins (LEDs and On/Off) Relay to Laffy Circuit
  pinMode(A0, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(A1, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(A2, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(A3, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(A4, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(A5, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(A6, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(A7, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(7,  OUTPUT);
  pinMode(13,  OUTPUT);

//   TURN OFF LAFFY FIRST!
  digitalWrite(A0, HIGH); // turn the Laffy circuit off by making the voltage HIGH

// - Define Green Signal Pins to LAFFY
  pinMode(4, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(3, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(2, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(10, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(9, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(6, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(5, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(4, LOW);    // turns the 4 LED/Signal LOW
  digitalWrite(3, LOW);    // turns the 3 LED/Signal LOW
  digitalWrite(2, LOW);    // turns the 2 LED/Signal LOWW
  digitalWrite(10, LOW);   // turns the 10 LED/Signal LOW
  digitalWrite(9, LOW);    // turns the 9 LED/Signal LOW
  digitalWrite(6, LOW);    // turns the 6 LED/Signal LOW
  digitalWrite(5, LOW);    // turns the 5 LED/Signal LOW

// Define Display LED pins

for (int jj; jj < sizeof(leds) / sizeof(int); jj++) {
    pinMode(leds[jj], OUTPUT);
    delay(10);
  }

// Startup Sequence - FIRST TURN ON LAFFY

delay(50);
  digitalWrite(A0, LOW);  // turn the Laffy circuit on by making the voltage LOW (Default)

// PROGRAM Random LED flashes? Sequence
  LEDsequence ();

//  int TimerCount = 1;

while (!Serial) { // needed to keep leonardo/micro from starting too fast!
    delay(10);
  }

Serial.println("Adafruit MPR121 Capacitive Touch sensor test");

// Default address is 0x5A, if tied to 3.3V its 0x5B
  // If tied to SDA its 0x5C and if SCL then 0x5D
  if (!cap.begin(0x5A)) {
    Serial.println("MPR121 not found, check wiring?");
    while (1);
  }
  Serial.println("MPR121 found!");

// SET touch sensitivity once to get an average for sensitivity
  LEDflash ();
delay(300);
  for (int i = 0; i < 8; i++) {
int j = cap.filteredData(i) - 13;
TouchTrigger[i] = j;
  }

}

void loop() {  // ------------------------------------------------------------------- start MAIN loop  --------------------------------------

// Use the Timer and it's remainder to perform a POWER RESET on the Laffy to prevent timing out
  int TimerCount = now();
  int TimerReset = now() % 360; // Every 360 seconds

// If the remainder hits zero, Reset the the power to the Laff Circuit
  if (TimerReset == 0) {
    Serial.println("-------------------- POWER RESET -----------------");
    delay(250);
    digitalWrite(A0, HIGH);  // turn the Laffy circuit on by making the voltage LOW (Default)
    delay(700);

LEDsequence (); // Perform a light display to give it time to acknowledge off/on
    LEDsoff ();    // Make sure all LEDs are off
    digitalWrite(A0, LOW);  // turn the Laffy circuit on by making the voltage LOW (Default)
  }

// Display for testing

Serial.print("Seconds: ");
  Serial.print(TimerCount);
  Serial.print(":");
  Serial.print(TimerReset);
    Serial.print("   ");
        Serial.print("(");
    Serial.print(i);
    Serial.print(")");
    Serial.print(cap.filteredData(i));
    Serial.print("-");
    Serial.print(TouchTrigger[i]);
  }

// -------- MAIN sensing loop ----- also, trigger testing display to show data when triggered

if (cap.filteredData(i) < TouchTrigger[i]  && cap.filteredData(i) != 0) {
      Serial.println();
      Serial.println("-------------------------------------- BEGIN SIGNAL --------------------");
      Serial.println(LaffDesc[i]);
      Serial.print("* TouchPin = "); Serial.println(TouchPin[i]);
      Serial.print("filteredData = "); Serial.println(cap.filteredData(i));
      Serial.print("Signal sent to "); Serial.println(Pin2Laff[i]);
      Serial.print("Wait time: "); Serial.println(TouchWait[i]);
      // Actually signal the pin

// --------------- Pad 7 is a random laugh of one of the other laughs
      if (i == 7) {
        int x = random(0, 5);
        digitalWrite(Pin2Laff[x], HIGH);    // turn the LED on by making the voltage HIGH
        delay(800);
        digitalWrite(Pin2Laff[x], LOW);    // turn the LED on by making the voltage OFFa
      }
      else {
        digitalWrite(Pin2Laff[i], HIGH);    // turn the LED on by making the voltage HIGH
        delay(600);
        digitalWrite(Pin2Laff[i], LOW);    // turn the LED on by making the voltage OFF
        //    delay(60);
        //        digitalWrite(Pin2Laff[i], HIGH);    // turn the LED on by making the voltage HIGH
      }

Serial.print("-------------------------------------- END SIGNAL --------------------");

// Random Light Display with wait time
      LEDrandom ();

// Reset the Laffy Circuit?

//  digitalWrite(A0, HIGH);  // turn the Laffy circuit on by making the voltage LOW (Default)
//        delay(50);
//  digitalWrite(A0, LOW);  // turn the Laffy circuit on by making the voltage LOW (Default)

// Turn off all the LEDs

LEDsoff ();
    }
  }

//  delay(200);
  Serial.println();

}
// ------------------------------------------------- SUBROUTINES - FUNCTIONS ----------------------

// LED FLASH Function - On/Off one at a time
void LEDflash () {
  for (int i = 0; i < 6; i++) {
    for (int ii = 0; ii < 5; ii++) {
      digitalWrite(leds[i], HIGH);    //
      delay(100);
      digitalWrite(leds[i], LOW);    //
      delay(100);
    }
  }
}

// LED SEQUENCE Function -  off and on in sequence
void LEDsequence () {
  for (int ii = 0; ii < 4; ii++) {
      digitalWrite(leds[i], HIGH);    //
      delay(100);
    }
    delay(100);
      digitalWrite(leds[i], LOW);    //
      delay(100);
    }
  }
}

// LED RANDOM Function - turn off and on (mostly off) of random LEDs
void LEDrandom () {
  for (int x = 0; x < TouchWait[5]; x++) {
    digitalWrite(leds[random(0, sizeof(leds) / sizeof(int))], HIGH);
    delay(random(5, 40));
    for (int xx = 0; xx < 2; xx++) {
      digitalWrite(leds[random(0, sizeof(leds) / sizeof(int))], LOW);
      delay(random(5, 30));
    }
  }
}
// LED LEDOFF Function - turn all LEDs Off
void LEDsoff () {      // Turn off all the LEDs
      for (int x = 0; x < 6; x++) {
        digitalWrite(leds[x], LOW);
      }
}

So, that's pretty much it, and now it sits at the Transylvania Arts Council gallery in their Interactive Arts Exhibit, which opens this upcoming Friday. I honestly wonder how people will react to it. Friends i've shown it to (to also test their capacitive differences) seem to vary in their reactions from "not comfortable tickling a brain" to "you're a madman!" (Which i take as a compliment). We'll see how the opening goes!

Closer action video: https://www.flickr.com/photos/zen/30340492568/

Feel free to ask any questions about the construction or code, I'll gladly share my errors and successes! And a big thanks to MikeBarela https://forums.adafruit.com/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=46706 for posting this elsewhere!

-z

zenSutherland

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.