Feather Bluefruit nRF52 not appearing as Arduino IDE port

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
golmschenk

Feather Bluefruit nRF52 not appearing as Arduino IDE port

Post by golmschenk »

I have a Feather Bluefruit nRF52 which is not appearing in the Arduino IDE port listing. When connected, the Feather has blinking blue and red lights (approximately 1 sec each).

I'm using a data cable. When I replace the nRF52 with an Adalogger Feather, the Adalogger appears in the IDE's port listing and I am able to upload to it.

I have the latest version of the Arduino IDE (currently 1.8.7) and the Feather Bluefruit nRF52 board package installed (version 0.8.6). I had originally tried to install the BSP through the non-Arduino IDE methods listed on the learning guide page (https://learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-nr ... -bsp-setup), but switched to the IDE as I didn't seem to be able to communicate with the boards through the other methods. Could one of these methods somehow have caused a conflict with the Arduino IDE? I attempted to entirely remove the IDE (along with the settings in the `Arduino15` directory), but after reinstalling everything I had the same results. The USB is through a USB-C port then an adapter to USB-A, which is then the cable connected to the Feather (again though, this works with the Adalogger). This is on MacOS 10.13.6.

Any ideas what might be causing the trouble? Thank you for your time.

golmschenk

Re: Feather Bluefruit nRF52 not appearing as Arduino IDE por

Post by golmschenk »

As an update, I tried to use the Arduino IDE in a Windows virtual machine, with the same result: The Adalogger works, the nRF52 does not.

golmschenk

Post by golmschenk »

I have now tried on another person's Mac, still with the same results.

hathach

Post by hathach »

if you are on macos, can you install lsusb tool in this link
https://github.com/jlhonora/lsusb

It will help to detect any device present on the usb, even if driver is not installed or configured probably. Then paste your output here to check if we could see Silab CP2104 listed. Make sure you test with a few different cables just to be sure with

golmschenk

Post by golmschenk »

@hathach, thank you. Yes, using `lsusb` the device is listed:

Code: Select all

Bus 020 Device 031: ID 10c4:ea60 Silicon Laboratories, Inc. CP2104 USB to UART Bridge Controller  Serial: 018C401D
Any ideas on why the driver might not be installed/configured properly? Thank you!

hathach

Post by hathach »

Ok, the hw is detected, probably you have an issue with driver. Check out this guide
https://learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-nr ... oard-setup

You may need to manually enable the driver in security preference. Depending on your macos version, you may want to use either legacy or latest cp2104 driver. Check out their guide to know which version.

golmschenk

Post by golmschenk »

This fixes it. I had assumed based on the BSP setup page (https://learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-nr ... -bsp-setup) that the board should be working on that page, and never moved on to the next page since it wasn't working at that point. Thank you much!

hathach

Post by hathach »

we should put critical things first, we human never is a patient reader :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”