New Hallowing - can't connect

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tcharron

New Hallowing - can't connect

Post by tcharron »

I have a new Hallowing from an adabox:009
It does not connect to my PC. When connected over a new USB cable, there is no port created on the computer (I have the IDE and drivers installed)
What it does do...
WHen the LIPO is installed, the yellow charge light comes on
When the LIPO is not installed, the yellow charge light blinks. It blinks slightly faster when the device is off, than when it is on.
Turning the device from off to on -- there is an extremely short blink on the nearby neopixel.
There is no other signs of life (on the PC, device LEDs or tft display)
Please advise.
Thanks

XRAD

Re: New Hallowing - can't connect

Post by XRAD »

try a double click on the little reset button?

tcharron

Post by tcharron »

Double click...nothing changes.

XRAD

Post by XRAD »

I tested a brand new unused out of wrapper HAllowing on Lipo (not USB) beginning w/switch in off position. switch to 'on' boots a digikey screen banner followed by the uncanny Eye sketch. Your issue may not be lack of connectivity.

So you already did the manual bootloader. Sounds like board not even booting. Hopefully it's something else.

If not a bootloader issue, first step is to be sure you to get connected and get that port working. I don't know if there is another pin jumper to get into boot mode...

Do you see a com 'x' listed? Each Hallowing will get its own com #

Check your hardware settings to see if you see 'HAlloWing' ? or unidentified hardware?

If not check again that you have the correct IDE version and hallowing drivers per tutorial if needed.

Sometimes you have to clean up multiple downloads...
Attachments
com x 1.JPG
com x 1.JPG (70.18 KiB) Viewed 237 times
com x.JPG
com x.JPG (52.43 KiB) Viewed 237 times

tcharron

Post by tcharron »

I think you're right and the problem is not the computer but the board.
I reinstalled everything again on another PC, and even used a different USB cable. I was very careful to follow the directions. Exact same problem, and no joy.
There is no port on either PC.

tcharron

Post by tcharron »

Spent some more time on this yesterday, with no further progress.
Please consider this a request for assistance from Adafruit support. I'd love to get this working before wednesday. I purchased this last Thursday (order 1885931-1176512846) with the intention of having it working by Halloween. The only way I see this happening is if a new one is shipped out to me today so that I get it tomorrow. If this isn't possible, I may just return it all.
Thanks

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Can you post a photo showing both sides of the board. Have you verified the USB cables you are using are not charge only?

tcharron

Post by tcharron »

The board is new and untouched, but I can take pictures later today after I get home from work.

One USB cable I tried was purchased from adafruit (via a link on your product page). The other was a cable that I had on hand. Both worked fine with a cellphone, so I don't think this is a cabling problem.
Even if there was a problem with the cable, that wouldn't explain why a double tap of the reset button didn't do anything.

tcharron

Post by tcharron »

There was no USB sound or port set up.
I looked in device manager, and there is nothing there (on either PC that I tested this on) when the hallowing is plugged in and turned on.
Here are the pictures.
Attachments
20181029_182844_sm.jpg
20181029_182844_sm.jpg (670.15 KiB) Viewed 170 times
20181029_182921_sm.jpg
20181029_182921_sm.jpg (710.84 KiB) Viewed 171 times

XRAD

Post by XRAD »

tcharron

Post by tcharron »

XRAD wrote:Did you see this?

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=142657#p705388
Yes. I tried this and everything else I could think of. I can't get the OS to recognize the board, and have yet to see the red LED come on at all.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

@tcharron I've passed this on internally since it seems like it has failed in a way that should be looked into. We'll get this taken care of and respond here to get back to you. But at this point I think we're going to miss your Halloween dead line. Sorry about that.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

tc, did you email support@adafruit to get a replacement or refund?

tcharron

Post by tcharron »

I emailed on Oct 31 asking just that and was told to wait for a forum response for another day. My life got in the way and I did not email yesterday. I will email now.

I have purchased many adafruit products and like them. However, this mixed public forum/private email approach to support leaves a lot to be desired.

This is a fairly straightforward case of getting a non-functioning product, being told it was now unrefundable (since it was opened), and being told to wait for help (the last email I received on Oct 31 said "the team is currently working on a solution"). In my case, I really only wanted this one component, but bought the more epxensive adabox due to stock issues. I paid border fees to boot. ... and it was all for naught. Not a great experience.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

sorry about that - we had a few bad hallowings and we wanted to make sure that we didnt have a problem with the entire stock! if so we would have just shipped another bad one.

we can refund your order or replace the 'wing, up to you :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”