IDE hanging while uploading sketch
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

IDE hanging while uploading sketch

by IUnknown on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:55 pm

I'm having a problem with Auduino IED 1.8.8 (and earlier). The sketch (Blink) compiles, then it says Upload.... basically forever. The Feather M0 Basic Proto shows up attached to COM7, and if I do Get Board Info I get this back:

BN: Adafruit Feather M0
VID: 239A
PID: 800B
SN: 64C511C35150484347202020FF0C1B35

I am using version 1.2.9 of the M0 board.

It works on another computer, though on that one the USB resets every time after upload. Windows 10 Enterprise Edition, October 2018 update.

If I double-click the Reset button then I get a drive mounted, with 3 files, but that window disappears immediately.

IUnknown

Re: IDE hanging while uploading sketch

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:15 pm

Based on this:
If I double-click the Reset button then I get a drive mounted, with 3 files, but that window disappears immediately.

it sounds like it's getting into bootloader mode but then your computer is kicking it out for some reason. The 3 files are expected. And the folder should be named FEATHERBOOT.

See if it might be this:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... esent-19-4
and also if you have any of the software mentioned here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... rive-19-11

adafruit_support_carter

by IUnknown on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I don't have any of those programs installed. However, after having double clicked a number of times I am having better success. It appears that during one of these that the boot program got updated. Next, it was flashing the window after uploading, and it continued to work. I changed the default action for removable drives and now it is acting like the other computer.

IUnknown

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:27 pm

Sounds like you're getting it to work by changing settings in the operating system?

adafruit_support_carter

by IUnknown on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:36 pm

No, that happened later. The key change seems to be an updating of the boot loader during one of the double click reset operations. I'll see what happens with other M0's I have at home, and whether this is needed or not to get it working.

IUnknown

by vwaterson on Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:55 am

I have several Adafruit Metro Boards. One which I have been using with a BlueFruit module attached has been working fine every day for about 3 weeks then suddenly the Bluetooth Module stopped working when I was communicating with it from Ipad. and I noticed the Bluetooth module was no longer appearing on the list of Bluetooth devices on my iPad and the blue light on the Bluefruit was not lit.

After consulting the Bluetooth forums I sent it a Factory Reset Sketch. That did not solve the problem but worse was to come. Now the Metro Board is acting erratically. Sometimes it will accept an upload and other times not.

Today I tried to just upload BLINK

The first time it uploaded OK (see screen capture)
The second time I tried to upload BLINK it hung forever on UPLOADING then gave me the error message attached.

I do not have a problem with uploading to 3 other Metro Boards I have.

Please, can you help me?
Attachments
Arduino BLINK Error Uploading second time after first successful upload 6.30am PT 18 March 2019.pdf
(239.97 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
Arduino BLINK upploaded successfully 6.25am PT 18 March 2019 Screen Capture.JPG
Arduino BLINK upploaded successfully 6.25am PT 18 March 2019 Screen Capture.JPG (132.18 KiB) Viewed 43 times

vwaterson

by vwaterson on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:04 am

Here is an update on further experimentation on solving the problem with Metro board Uploading error

1. Unplug the USB cable
2. Press and hold the RESET Button
3. Plug in the USB cable and continue to press the RESET button for 10 seconds and release the button
4. Now I can upload any sketch after repeating this process.

Obviously, I cannot use the Metro board if I have to go through this process every time I want to upload a new sketch.

Any thoughts on what the problem is?

Thanks

vwaterson

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:19 pm

@vwaterson Can you please start a new thread for your issue.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.