Cannot play music with Music Maker FeatherWing
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cannot play music with Music Maker FeatherWing

by antoyo on Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi.
I bought a Feather 32u4 Basic Proto and the Music Maker FeatherWing and I've tried the feather_player example.
I can sometimes hear the sine_test (maybe 1 time over 10 tries) and I've only heard the first seconds of the music file once.
Never again I was able to hear the music file, though I can still hear the beep (sine_test) from time to time.
I've read that the DREQ interrupt does not work on the 32u4, so could that be my issue?
Do I need to do a different setup or play the file differently in order to make this work?
Thanks for your help.

antoyo

Re: Cannot play music with Music Maker FeatherWing

by jasmattkrz on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:13 am

Hi antoyo,

I don't have a 32u4 to test but I can tell you from experience that the first thing support will ask for is a clear picture of your soldering work.

My guess is that this has nothing to do with interrupts, because the sine test isn't playing every time, so it sounds more like an intermittent hardware issue (like a cold solder joint).

You could also try another cable and/or powered USB hub to make sure that you've got sufficient power to the board.

Best of luck!

jasmattkrz

by antoyo on Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Thanks for your answer.
Here's a picture of the boards:
board.jpg
board.jpg (986.47 KiB) Viewed 58 times

Does the soldering look right?

antoyo

by jasmattkrz on Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:04 pm

The soldering doesn't look terrible, but I do see some reasons to suspect that the soldering is the issue.

Specifically, I'm concerned about the Mp3 chip select pin (MP3CS in the guide) and the SD chip select pin (SD CS) on the Music Maker, which have white circles silk screened around them. There appears to be a bit of solder splatter between them, which could definitely cause a problem if it's bridging the pins (even intermittently).

I am not an electrical engineer, so take any advice from me with that in mind, but what I would do first is take a small flat head screwdriver and scrape between those pins on the Music Maker uses (and maybe all of the pins that the Music Maker uses, according to the guide).

I'd also recommend you read the "Adafruit Guide to Excellent Soldering" if you haven't already. You can also look at the 32u4 Feather's assembly guide and see a good example of a finished solder job (shiny solder, tapered toward the pin, no yellow discoloration, etc). It looks to me like you are using too much solder and too much heat. There is a lot of discoloration and flux splatter (some even made it onto the VLSI chip), and in several cases I can see that your solder is flowing onto the adjacent duplicate pins. Although bridging those joints is harmless, it indicates that you aren't keeping good control over where the solder is going, and one mistake to the left or right could bridge pins that you don't want to bridge!

Personally, I don't use flux, just 0.32" diameter 60/40 rosin core solder. I find that thicker solder is difficult to work with and it forces you to use more heat!

But hopefully just scraping between some pins is all you need to get going! Fingers crossed!

jasmattkrz

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:24 pm

What sketch are you trying to run? What sound files are you using?

though I can still hear the beep (sine_test) from time to time.

Only sometimes? That seems odd. Can you correlate that to anything?

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.