nRF52840 feather port-problem while sketch-upload
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

nRF52840 feather port-problem while sketch-upload

by Paddy93 on Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:25 am

Hello Adafruit-Community

Im trying to programm my adafruit nRF52840 feather on Arduino. I created a serial-interface that is continiously reading, actually a pritty simple code. The aim is to send Strings from my computer to the nRF-Chip.
Anyway, every time I upload my sketch, arduino trys to upgrade the target (from port COM6 to COM8). I observe in the device-manager how the serial-port changes for a few seconds from COM6 to COM8, and backwards after a few seconds later. You can hear the windows sound of a disconnected and re-connected device too.

The Error is as following:
"Upgrading target on COM8 with DFU package C:\Users\Padi\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_411245\UART-Read.ino.zip. Flow control is disabled, Single bank, Touch disabled
########################################
####################
Activating new firmware
Device programmed.
Board at COM6 is not available"

My HP-Laptop is running on Windows 7. I installed the latest version of arduino (1.8.9), installed all new adafruit drivers, bootloaders and libraries for the adafruit nRF52840. I could choose normally the port (COM6) and the weird thing is, that the adafruit nRF52840 feather even receives and runs the code.
The described scenario is shown as a print screen below...

The main reason, why I try to solve this error, is because the switching of the ports interrupts the serial.write-programm from my laptops labview-software. This should run parallel and send the string to the nrf-device, from which the string should be transfered via BLE to another nrf-device.
Its the first time I use Arduino, so its hard to understand why this error happens. I invested already a lot of time to solve it.

Do you know what the problem could be?
I posted this question in the Arduino-Community too, which referenced me directly to Adafruit. Therefore I'm very greatful for any kind of input, advice or solution :-)
Attachments
Serial-UART_Problem_Port.png
Serial-UART_Problem_Port.png (33 KiB) Viewed 158 times
Serial-UART_Problem.png
Serial-UART_Problem.png (112.38 KiB) Viewed 158 times

Paddy93

Re: nRF52840 feather port-problem while sketch-upload

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm

Does the basic process here work OK? Can you upload the blink example?
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing- ... oard-setup

adafruit_support_carter

by Paddy93 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:19 am

Hello

I Tried to upload the Blink-Skatch and I received the same (orange) error as in the picture above.
But yes, the basic process/ task works after uploading (and the error message) and the LED is blinking every second.

However the problem with the port-change is not solved yet and interrupts a serial connection to other softwares, such as LabVIEW which is using the original port-name.

Paddy93

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:34 pm

I think this is an OS issue. Your operating system is reassigning a new COM port number after the board does a post-uploading reset. Windows is esp. good at this. I think unfortunately this means you'll need to somehow re-sync to the new COM port in the other software like LabView.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.