Feather M0 Express Unrecognizable

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
SoBurtItHurt

Feather M0 Express Unrecognizable

Post by SoBurtItHurt »

I bought a Feather M0 Express about a month ago to a replace one I had gotten a while back. Now I'm having the same issues as with the first. When I plug it in my Windows 10 computer fails to recognize the board. "Device Descriptor Request Failed". With the first board I figured it had been a user error (it was my first time soldering/assembling feathers with headers) and figured between that and the code I must have bricked it. So I purchased a Segger J-link to try to debugging and ordered a second M0 Express to finish a project I had been working on. Now neither board is recognized. When I plug in the first board the on-board neopixel starts green like it is running some code then slowly pulses green but when I double click the reset button I only get a solid red neopixel and a pulsing D13. When I tried making connections and debugging the first board I lifted the SWCLK pad so I am unable to connect to the J-Link. :( The newer board I can connect to with the J-link but can't seem make any progress. When I plug it in I get no on-board neopixel and only a pulsing D13. Double clicking reset has no changes...

I'm still new to the world of electronics and making but I've exhausted every resource I can find on-line to try to solve or troubleshoot this problem. Probably only making things worse. Any advice would be welcomed and greatly appreciated!

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Feather M0 Express Unrecognizable

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

They worked and then stopped working. Can you correlate that to anything? What were the Feathers being used for?

SoBurtItHurt

Post by SoBurtItHurt »

When I purchased the original unit I was pairing it with a Prop Maker wing. When loading some of the example codes from the learn guide it was working fine. Until it wasn't? When I went to load the next test I plugged in the board with a good USB cable (can use it to connect to all other adafruit boards) and got an error "USB device not recognized". When I look in my device manager I get no COM ports and an Unknown USB device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). When I plug it in the neopixel comes on steady green. After a short time (about how long it might take to run the example code I last loaded) the neopixel starts pulsing green (possibly indicating that the code has finished running?).

adafruit_support_carter

Can you provide more detail on what you were doing with the Prop Maker wing? Maybe something happened hardware-wise and zapped the boards?

Are you trying without the Prop Maker wing on and still having the issue?

SoBurtItHurt

Post by SoBurtItHurt »

I was only just trying out the various simple test from the Prop Maker learning guide article. I believe the last one I was able to successfully load was Prop_Maker_Audio_Simpletest. And all troubleshooting I've done has been without the wing attached.

adafruit_support_carter

Are you sure the USB cable you are using is a good USB cable and not charge only?

For the second board - what is showing up in device manager in terms of COM ports when you plug the board in?

SoBurtItHurt

Post by SoBurtItHurt »

Positive. I've used it to connect with all my adafruit boards. I've also tried using several others as well. The only cables I keep around are one's I've order or recieved exclusively from adafruit. :) Different ports and a USB Hub. The second one is the exact same deal. No COM ports and and the same USB error.

adafruit_support_carter

Let's see what state the second board is in, since it's the one that sounds like still has the SWD pad. Can you post a photo showing both sides of the board.

SoBurtItHurt

Post by SoBurtItHurt »

Sorry for the delay. It (embarrassingly) took me longer to figure out how to resize the photos for posting. Let me know if the quality is no good. As you can see, I left the wires for debugging attached. It was when I foolishly tried adjusting these on the first board that I lifted the pad.
Attachments
20190716_094158-800x600.jpg
20190716_094158-800x600.jpg (107.37 KiB) Viewed 228 times
20190716_093913-800x600.jpg
20190716_093913-800x600.jpg (100.76 KiB) Viewed 228 times

adafruit_support_carter

Thanks. Nothing obviously wrong. What all have you done so far with this second board and using the J-Link? Did you actually try reprogramming it?

SoBurtItHurt

Post by SoBurtItHurt »

Yes So I have been following along with this guide,
https://learn.adafruit.com/how-to-progr ... ders/setup,
I can get a connection with the J-Link, as well as Atmel Studio. In the programming tool I can read the device signature and see the Target Voltage. I can change the BOOTPROT fuse setting from 0x07 to 0x02 and then flash the .bin file for the feather M0 bootloader but then no new drive appears...

adafruit_support_carter

What is the full name of the .bin file you used?

SoBurtItHurt

Post by SoBurtItHurt »

This one,
C:\Users\SoBurtItHurt\Downloads\bootloader-feather_m0_express-v3.7.0.bin

adafruit_support_carter

That all seems fine then. If you didn't get any error messages when you tried to flash the .bin file, it should have worked.

Keep in mind that this only installs the bootloader. A folder might not show up right after the flashing step. You'll need to exit the JLink software and then try double pressing the reset button on the Feather to put it in bootloader mode. Then you should get the FEATHERBOOT folder.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”