Feather Powerboost Pattern
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Feather Powerboost Pattern

by moWhite on Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:53 pm

I have a few projects that use different flavors of the AdaFruit Feather. I've struggled to find a pattern that I like when I need to provide 5.0V to servos, pixels, or sensors that change the way that I wire stuff depending on the power supply.

Basically, I'm powering the PowerBoost from the Feather's Bat to the PowerBoost's Bat. This works with the Feather being powered either via the USB or from a LiPo.

I've just starting using this pattern and I'd love some feedback and / or suggestions.

feather_powerboard.png
feather_powerboard.png (236.18 KiB) Viewed 74 times

moWhite

Re: Feather Powerboost Pattern

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:13 am

That should work fine for smaller projects where the charge rate of the Feather is acceptable. For faster charging, you could use a PowerBoost 1000C and connect GND and BAT to the Feather. Just don't connect USB to the Feather and to the PowerBoost at the same time.

adafruit_support_bill

by moWhite on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:26 am

I think I get what you are saying in your first sentence: depending on what or how many 5V peripheries are plugged into the PowerBoost, I might be drawing down the LiPo faster than the Feather can charge it from the USB.

For you second sentence, are you suggesting that I use the PowerBoost to charge the Feather? That is what I'm trying to avoid with this pattern, but I'm more than willing to switch. My goal is to find one wiring pattern that will work for development, plugged in to a USB power source with our without a LiPo backup, or LiPo only with the ability to recharge.

I probably didn't need to use the PB 500 C in my example and I'll switch it out.

Richard

moWhite

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:47 am

For you second sentence, are you suggesting that I use the PowerBoost to charge the Feather?

The PowerBoost would be charging the LiPo - which would then power the Feather - as well as the boost section of the PowerBoost. The PowerBoost is capable of charging at a 1A rate which is 10 times the rate of the on-board charger in the Feather.

adafruit_support_bill

by moWhite on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:14 pm

Thanks. That's too big of a difference to ignore. How can I wire this so that I can use the USB on the Feather for both programming and / or power.

I could move the LiPo to the PowerBoost and run from the PB Bat and Gnd to the Feather Bat and Gnd. If the Feather is connected to the USB for development, I can drop the PB Bat to Feather Bat wire.

I'll update my diagram and upload.

Richard

moWhite

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:28 pm

How can I wire this so that I can use the USB on the Feather for both programming and / or power.

You could hack a USB cable and connect the data and ground pins to the Feather USB and the VBus and ground pins to the PowerBoost.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.