2884 ProtoBoard + ESP32..
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

2884 ProtoBoard + ESP32..

by dwim on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:07 pm

Have been in the RasPi world for some time using 3s & zero-Ws with a proto board to add my sensors around the house; mostly DS18b20s, HTU21Ds, AM2315s, Lipoly+1000c, ADS1015s, 20x4 OLED display, etc. All with Golang on RPIs, MQTT into Ubuntu w/Golang & Python for upper level collector logic + DB (MySQL) storage. used Teensys before that w/C. That said, I picked up a few feather ESP32 Huzzahs to do some simple isolated power checking + prolly the usual sensor / display parts I mentioned above w/uP & an MQTT client. The intent is to solder my wiring to the 2884 which'd be connected to the feather. Got the 2884s in so next was to check what holes are connected. Now to my question (sorry, may just be dense here): I see the outside holes are connected the way I'd expect for a proto board. But the internal holes aren't connected to anything.Nor are they connected in any way to each other. By that I mean the 5-pin sets in the middle. Other than the pwr + Gnd, the others are completely independent of each other. I'd have thought there'd be some connectivity, but continuity testing shows nothing. What am I missing here (prolly a duh! moment)? I could mention what RPI proto I've been using but this is the vaunted (IMHO) Ada and I wouldn't want to refer to somewhere else. FYI, I had looked for a while, esp for something the same size as the feather board that I can stack both on top & underneath (if needed). Thanks in advance for guidance; I appreciate it. I didn't think I needed to post a pict since I'm referring to the 2884 & it's the middle pins (i.e., NOT the top or bottom mostly paired 2-pin sets).

dwim

Re: 2884 ProtoBoard + ESP32..

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:50 am

The inner array of holes are all isolated - similar to a standard perf-board - but with plated through holes.. This is by design. Due to the small space available, breadboard-style connected rows would limit flexibility.

Connections between components and jumpers can be made by folding over the leads and soldering together as in this tutorial: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dat ... ep-1947728

adafruit_support_bill

by dwim on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:58 am

K. Tnx for the reply n how to connect. URL reference was helpful.

dwim

by XRAD on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:05 am

On my proto boards, if I am not sure of which way I plan to assign pins or wire, I will use long header pins. One end for the feather connections, and the other pin end for female jumpers......I find the pins more functional than the female headers.

Jumpers come in three varieties:
male-male
female-female
male-female

and various lengths. Header pins and jumpers can be found in the adafruit 'shop' section...

XRAD

by dwim on Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:19 pm

Yes, thank you XRAD. I use multiple sensors / displays, some DSb1820s & some I2Cs. So I'm used to soldering triple or quad double / triple L-bent male headers onto the proto board, then using female 10 pitch wiring to interface from there to the hole(s) I've drilled in my plastic boxes. The male headers usually connect to either a pin for the DS chain or SDA/SCL for I2C. Easy peasy. Plus I can reconfigure easily. Was looking to do similar here on the ESP32. Given the lack of interconnected holes, I'll have to adapt.

dwim

by dwim on Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:41 pm

Further & intentionally proper question: This 2884 proto board is nicely suited for me to start with. I'd like to add some traces in some places. ONLY for personal use, not for anyone else's use and not for resale of any type. Am I able to do this? I'd like to add some traces, then feed it back in for a follow-on PCB manufacture. Haven't done this before, but this would be a great foundation for the ESP32 adaptations I'm moving into. So what are the implications & advice, etc. Hints & helps would be appreciated. And, most importantly, am I able to legally and properly do this? Hopefully, this is a reasonable and properly framed question.

dwim

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:12 pm

These are open source designs. You can find the CAD files and the Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike license terms here:
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit-Fe ... nd-Tripler

adafruit_support_bill

by dwim on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:35 am

Thank you so much. I'll pick it up & make some connections to suit my builds. Will have to read as to how to get built & how to fulfill the terms of the license. I'd assume I should place these mods somewhere, but that's after I've read.

dwim

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.