Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Adafruit Ultimate GPS FeatherWing - RTC
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adafruit Ultimate GPS FeatherWing - RTC

by waltmck on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:23 pm

Just out of curosity, is there a reason why the RTC on the various GPS modules isn't accessible. I'm seeeing this on this Adafruit Ultimate GPS FeatherWing module and have the same thing with the Ultimate GPS module I'm currently using.

There are times when I want an RTC when I may not have a GPS fix. Right now I run a separate RTC for this, but it would be nice to not need it if the RTC on the GPS module was accessible.

My current project is a vessel tracker based on a Raspberry PI where I don't have internet access for the Pi to set its time on power up.I'm logging a weather sensor, an AIS sentences from a radio receiver, a pitch/roll sensor and GPS. I want to log other items with the correct time stamp even if the GPS doesn't have a fix, so I've given Pi's time control to a separate RTC I have attached to it.

Having the GPSs RTC available would allow me to eliminate one of the hats I have stacked on my Pi.

Thanks,
Walt

waltmck

Re: Adafruit Ultimate GPS FeatherWing - RTC

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:18 am

The GPS module should report a timestamp based on its RTC value even when it doesn't have a fix. It isn't guaranteed to be in sync with the GPS system until the module gets a fix, and will fall farther out of sync the longer it's been since the last fix, but it will still be comparable with any other RTC.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adafruit Ultimate GPS FeatherWing - RTC

by waltmck on Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:58 pm

Thank you. This does work.

It will allow me to remove two hats from my Raspberry Pi stack.

waltmck

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.