STM32F405 Feather Express not entering bootloader mode

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
zdc

STM32F405 Feather Express not entering bootloader mode

Post by zdc »

Hi,

Recently I acquired a new STM32F405 Feather board and I seem to be having troubles getting into the bootloader mode. When I connect the B0 pin to VCC and then plug the USB in, it takes a long time for it to enumerate as an STM32 BOOTLOADER device on my PC. Often times, it will not enumerate at all and I have to keep unplugging and replugging it until it shows up.

Anyone have any ideas on what else I could try?

Thanks

mikeysklar

Re: STM32F405 Feather Express not entering bootloader mode

Post by mikeysklar »

I've seen a half dozen recent posts stating the same with this Feather STM32F405 model. Sometimes units really struggle to get into bootloader mode. Using Circuit Python or Arduino and trying different computers.

Can you show me the factory installed bootloader version that is on your Feather.

When you pull B0 to VCC and press the reset button does that speed up device detection? Are you currently using Arduino, CircuitPython or MicroPython?

Is there anything else connected to the device?

Are you removing B0 after powerup?

zdc

Post by zdc »

The FW version on the Feather is 0x011a.

I have found that pressing the reset button does not speed up detection. In fact if I pull B0 high and then reset it basically never shows up. Plugging and unplugging the device seems to be fastest way but it could just be a coincidence. I am using the STM32CubeIDE and uploading the binaries using the STM32Cube Programmer.

Nothing else is connected to the device especially the UART Rx as per the instructions. I have tried programming it using an ST-LINK V2 via SWD as well, but I either get device not found or DEV_TARGET_CMD_ERR errors.

I am not removing B0 after powerup as that boots straight into the loaded program.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@zdc,

Okay good to know the programmer IDE setup combinations you have been using.

I would be curious if it makes any difference on the USB-C cable orientation (flipping it) when connecting to the STM32F405 directly and by passing the external hardware programmers for a test with the Arduino IDE. Maybe that is far enough away from your ideal setup that it is not worth trying since what you have works, but is slow.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-stm ... -ide-setup

I would also be consistent about what code you are running. Maybe start off with a basic blink program to make sure the processor is not getting tied up executing code or waiting for a console to be opened.

zdc

Post by zdc »

I have tried changing the orientation of the cable and also another cable on both my computers to no avail. Actually, when I first got the board and tried to get it into the DFU mode, it was already taking its time so I doubt that the issue is related to my code or the IDE. I have tried erasing the flash to see if it would enumerate faster both in DFU and using the ST-LINK but it does not seem to help.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@zdc,

Lets swap replace this one for another STM32F405 unit and see if that changes any behavior.

Please e-mail support@adafruit.com requesting a replacement unit and include this forum thread along with your order#.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Engineering has been informed. I will monitor multiple threads for comment.

ilium007

Post by ilium007 »

Purchased mine from a local reseller here in Australia today (instead of just buying a PyBoard v1.1) and mine will not enter DFU mode. I was able to erase and program micropython via ST-LINK and it works but the board will not enter DFU mode at all.

Confirmed also that running

Code: Select all

machine.bootloader()
from the REPL does not put the board into DFU mode.

DevinJamesK

Post by DevinJamesK »

Clearly there is a quality control issue. If I could just get a working replacement or a refund I would be happy. After taking over a week just to ship my order, I expected it to at least be tested. Having to send an email, then post on the forums, then get it sent to forwarded to "engineering" and ignored will definitely make me a return customer. At this point, why would I buy from adafruit instead of ebay if the quality control is the same. I can get 5x boards for the same price, throw out the 2 that are doa, and still having a working board. Looking forward to having this post deleted.

ilium007

Post by ilium007 »

ilium007 wrote:Purchased mine from a local reseller here in Australia today (instead of just buying a PyBoard v1.1) and mine will not enter DFU mode. I was able to erase and program micropython via ST-LINK and it works but the board will not enter DFU mode at all.

Confirmed also that running

Code: Select all

machine.bootloader()
from the REPL does not put the board into DFU mode.
Assuming this is a revision 4 chip on my board
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 10.44.26 am.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 10.44.26 am.png (921.98 KiB) Viewed 116 times

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hi having multiple threads is harder for us to answer, please check our response here
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=171400&p=856300#p856300

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”