Ios upgrade and bonding problem with BLE Feather Express nrF
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Ios upgrade and bonding problem with BLE Feather Express nrF

by philaine on Sun May 09, 2021 9:53 am

I've succeeded to make a feather Express nrF52840 work during 2 or 3 weeks, but restoring one iPad on another one made them upgrade to new version of ios. Since that, I can't keep the automatic connection as soon as I power off the device (five buttons); it worked like a charm before, and even when I powered on the device, the iPad awaked.
The specific problem is that when I power on the iPad (external device off) I can see the circuitpy in bluetooth devices list (even when the device is not powered on) and "no" beside it (normal). If the "selection control" was turned on in the settings, a warning appears: "can't find external button". and the device stays on "no" (normal)... but if I power on the external device, the device still stays on "no" (and the warning too) and I have to "forget the device" in order to make the pairing dialog appear... and then it works until I power off the device again. It is not very hard to do but this project is for a disabled person who will not be able to do that.
I've had the Apple support (second level) but they couldn't find the solution, even with screen sharing. I'll have a phone appointment next tuesday with them and I would like to be able to tell them if Adafruit is aware of that and if there is a possibility of upgrading the firmware of the Feather board (if it's an Adafruit problem).
But maybe the problem is elsewhere.
Any thoughts about this?
Thanks for your help.

philaine

Re: Ios upgrade and bonding problem with BLE Feather Express

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed May 12, 2021 5:41 pm

Try telling the nRF52840 to delete all its saved pairing and bonding information. You might have an old key that the new version of iOS doesn’t like.

adafruit_support_mike

by philaine on Thu May 13, 2021 6:21 am

Thanks for your response.
Is there an (easy) way to do that, as I'm not an engineer ? I've searched for a tutorial but I've only found things for developers only, what I'm not (yet :-)
Are the bonding and pairing infos stored on both iPad and Feather?

Regards

Philippe

philaine

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu May 13, 2021 10:06 pm

Call the function Bluefruit.clearBonds().

adafruit_support_mike

by philaine on Tue May 18, 2021 4:51 am

Thanks Mike,

(I've not been notified for your response - or I didn't see it - so my answer is in late)
Thanks for your response.
That will certainly do the trick... but if I have to do that regularly, there will be a problem for my project. I think that I will look for another more adapted solution.

Regards,

Philippe

philaine

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.