Please note: Friday June 18 is a holiday celebrating Juneteenth, please allow extra time for your order to arrive and plan accordingly.

Adafruit FeatherWing OLED - 128x32 OLED - not functioning
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Adafruit FeatherWing OLED - 128x32 OLED - not functioning

by dzmitryp12 on Thu May 13, 2021 7:30 pm

Hi! I've ordered "Adafruit FeatherWing OLED - 128x32 OLED" and it seems to not be functioning.

I've connected it to "Adafruit Feather HUZZAH with ESP8266" using StemmaQT wires, and I am using "OLED_featherwing" example from "Adafruit SSD1306" folder. I see up to "IO test" in the console, but nothing else. Nothing shows up on the OLED screen either. When I press buttons on the OLED-feather, nothing shows up on the console.

I am confident the setup is good, because when I unplug "Adafruit FeatherWing OLED - 128x32 OLED" from StemmaQT and plug "Adafruit SCD-30 - NDIR CO2 Temperature and Humidity Sensor" - it works fine (using "adafruit_sdc30_test" example): I see LEDs on the sensor blinking and I see sensor readings in the console.

dzmitryp12

Re: Adafruit FeatherWing OLED - 128x32 OLED - not functionin

by dastels on Thu May 13, 2021 8:55 pm

What's the product number of your OLED wing?

As for the buttons on the featherwing, they are connected to digital pins on the feather header (5, 6, and 9 I believe) so if you are connecting to the wing only with I2C, you'll never see button presses.

Since it's a wing, it's designed to piggyback on a feather through the headers. How exactly do you have it wired. Clear photos preferred.

Dave

dastels

by dzmitryp12 on Fri May 14, 2021 12:35 pm

I was wrong in my initial message. It's 128x64 OLED wing. The product number is SH1107.

I've now installed SH110X library and using "OLED_featherwing" example from the "Adafruit SH110X" folder.

Still same result: nothing shows up on the screen. Makes sense that buttons won't work over I2C.

I don't have the headers soldered on the wing and can't test it over the feather itself. From the docs it sounds like it should work over just StemmaQT (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-128 ... g/overview):

The display uses only I2C so you can easily connect it up with just two pins used (plus power and ground!). There's an auto-reset circuit and a reset button on the top. We've even included a SparkFun qwiic-compatible STEMMA QT connector for the I2C bus so you can plug and play any of our STEMMA QT, qwiic or Grove I2C sensors and devices!

dzmitryp12

by dastels on Fri May 14, 2021 2:46 pm

Since the STEMMA-QT connector is connected directly to the I2C pins it should work fine.

How is the other end of the STEMMA wires connected?

Dave

dastels

by Eurekacode on Wed May 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Hi

You mentioned that you are using the SH110X library. Have you also installed the Adafruit GFX library?

Also if you are using an older version of the Arduino IDE then you need to install Adafruit_BusIO or better upgrade to the latest IDE.

I have tested an OLED Featherwing SH1107 by using a STM32F405 Feather tiny via the STEMMA connector and it works. Note, however, that I am using MU and CircuitPython on this board.

Please let me know whether you intend using the Featherboard, the OLED and your SCD-30 CO2 sensor together as a unit.

Eurekacode

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.