Sense nRF52840 not recognized

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ShiftyMcCool

Sense nRF52840 not recognized

Post by ShiftyMcCool »

Hello, I just received a Feather Sense and I am not able to do anything with it. It is not being recognized as a USB device on either my MacBook Pro or Windows 10 box. I have tried different ports and different cables, one of which I use to program Pro Micros so I'm relatively confident it should work (unless the Sense has specific cable requirements).

When I plug it in, the charging light blinks rapidly, which is normal if I'm not mistaken. When I plug a battery in the light changes to solid, also normal. But, nothing else happens. I don't see the UART port in the Arduino IDE or anything in the serial output. Double pressing the reset button shows no sign that it's entering DFU mode. There's just no indication that either computer even recognizes anything was plugged in.

Am I doing something wrong? I am very new at this and I've never used a Feather product before. Do I need a specific type of cable? Did I just get a bad board?

Thanks!

mikeysklar

Re: Sense nRF52840 not recognized

Post by mikeysklar »

@ShiftyMyCool,

Thanks for describing the steps you have tried thus far.

Getting the first of a new kind of board to be discovered by the OS can be a hassle. Are you seeing anything in the MacOS System Profile (Hardware / USB) or Windows equivalent when plugged in? How about in /dev are any new devices showing up? Please make sure you are using one of your proven good USB cables that you had been using with your "Pro Micros". This is almost always a USB cable or Port issue. If you have a powered USB2 hub you can add to the mix that can sometimes help.

ShiftyMcCool

Post by ShiftyMcCool »

Hi @mikeysklar, thanks for the quick reply!

No, I don't see any device that could be the Feather in any device list I can find. /dev has a ton of items listed but, as best I could tell, no new ones appeared after plugging in the device.

I will get a new cable and try again. What would be the next step if this cable doesn't work?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

If possible testing with a USB hub after trying a good USB data cable would be helpful. I think if we replaced the board right now you would see the same behavior with the next one as this sounds like a comms issue.

ShiftyMcCool

Post by ShiftyMcCool »

@mikeysklar

Bought new Case Logic micro-b cable and it had no effect on either MacBook or Win 10 whether it was plugged into new Targus USB 3 hub (ACH124US) or not. Currently, I'm running my MacBook to an LG 27UK850 monitor which is itself a USB hub. It's this monitor that I'm plugging all of my devices into. I don't have a USB-C hub (or USB-C => micro-b cable) available to try connecting directly to my MacBook. Is there anything wrong with this setup? As I've mentioned, I've had no trouble with programming other boards with this arrangement.

Any other ideas?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for trying the new cable and getting into more of the details.

You definitely want to avoid the monitor USB-A port on the LG monitor. That is kind of a weird one.

You will need a USB 2.x hub or dongle to use your macbook. If you want to use a USB-C --> micro-b cable that might also work.

ShiftyMcCool

Post by ShiftyMcCool »

@mikeysklar, I picked up this usb-c => micro-b cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0828Z13J5 and this usb hub https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F9QVNQ4 but I'm still not seeing any indication that the board is being recognized (no OS prompt, Arduino IDE shows no port/error on upload). Is there any software that I may be missing (drivers, SDK, etc...)? I'd rather use the MacBook but I can troubleshoot on the Win10 box if necessary. Is it possible I'm not doing something right like resetting the wrong way (double press reset?), etc...

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@ShiftMyCool,

Thanks for getting yet another cable and a hub setup.

The USB-C cable to USB-micro-b cable looks like a good DATA cable. You should be able to see that USB device has been plugged in by searching the /dev dir with a command like:

run this comm and before plugging in the feather sense

Code: Select all

ls -lrt /dev > devices.before
then plugin the feather sense

ls -lrt /dev > devices.after
and compare the results

diff -u devices.before devices.after
In terms of using the reset button a single click just rests the default onboard program. A double reset press should put you into bootloader mode where a drive pops up on the desktop (BOOTPY) or something of that nature.

In some situations the USB-C connector might need to be flipped to work right.

If none of the above works does it help to use the original cable you purchased (USB-A to Micro-B) plugged into the USB2 port on the hub?

Fortunately, there are no drivers to install so it is just a situation of making USB talk.

ShiftyMcCool

Post by ShiftyMcCool »

@mikeysklar, no new devices in /dev, just a couple changes (attached).

I tried the usb-c -> micro-b cable in both ports on my MacBook first one way then flipped. When I tried the hub before, I used the cable I've used on Pro Micro boards in both the 2.0 and 3.0 ports just to be sure. Double pressing reset (or grounding the Rst pin once or twice) doesn't show a new drive in the finder.

I'm good to keep trying anything you can think of if you have any other ideas. This board has everything I need for a project I'm trying and it would be nice to have it all in one neat little package instead of spread out over a handful of different boards.

Thanks!
Attachments
devices_diff.png
devices_diff.png (998.5 KiB) Viewed 317 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

@ShiftyMycCool,

Thank you for being patient. I appreciate the last screenshot as it shows our device is being detected by the OS and the devices are in places. It sounds as though it is only the finder failing to pickup on the BOOT drive.
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 1.44.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 1.44.18 PM.png (120.77 KiB) Viewed 294 times
Let's try flashing your bootloader from the command line using the adafruit-nrfutil command line utility.

https://learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-nr ... -3013495-2

https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_nR ... -0.5.1.zip

You will need to unzip the above zip file and flash with zip file inside of that.

# rough syntax guide as follows (substitude your internal zip and /dev/tty.usbmodem[.....]

adafruit-nrfutil --verbose dfu serial --package feather_nrf52832_bootloader-0.2.8_s132_6.1.1.zip
 -p /dev/ttyACM0 -b 115200 --singlebank --touch 1200

ShiftyMcCool

Post by ShiftyMcCool »

@mikeysklar

That tty.usbmodem device is always there, regardless if the feather is attached or not. I see it in the Arduino IDE when there are no devices connected but when I attach one of my other project boards I get a new entry for that device.

However, I gave the bootloader flash a shot and I got a similar output to what the Arduino IDE gives me when I choose that tty.usbmodem device:

❯ adafruit-nrfutil --verbose dfu serial --package feather_nrf52840_sense_bootloader-0.5.1_s140_6.1.1.zip -p /dev/tty.usbmodem009NTZNBJ2532 -b 115200 --singlebank --touch 1200

Upgrading target on /dev/tty.usbmodem009NTZNBJ2532 with DFU package /Users/ryan/Code/misc/feather_nrf52840_sense_bootloader-0.5.1_s140_6.1.1.zip. Flow control is disabled, Single bank, Touch 1200
Touched serial port /dev/tty.usbmodem009NTZNBJ2532
Opened serial port /dev/tty.usbmodem009NTZNBJ2532
Starting DFU upgrade of type 3, SoftDevice size: 151016, bootloader size: 39000, application size: 0
Sending DFU start packet
Timed out waiting for acknowledgement from device.

Failed to upgrade target. Error is: No data received on serial port. Not able to proceed.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/ryan/Library/Python/3.9/lib/python/site-packages/nordicsemi/__main__.py", line 296, in serial
    dfu.dfu_send_images()
  File "/Users/ryan/Library/Python/3.9/lib/python/site-packages/nordicsemi/dfu/dfu.py", line 226, in dfu_send_images
    self._dfu_send_image(HexType.SD_BL, self.manifest.softdevice_bootloader)
  File "/Users/ryan/Library/Python/3.9/lib/python/site-packages/nordicsemi/dfu/dfu.py", line 199, in _dfu_send_image
    self.dfu_transport.send_start_dfu(program_mode, softdevice_size, bootloader_size,
  File "/Users/ryan/Library/Python/3.9/lib/python/site-packages/nordicsemi/dfu/dfu_transport_serial.py", line 179, in send_start_dfu
    self.send_packet(packet)
  File "/Users/ryan/Library/Python/3.9/lib/python/site-packages/nordicsemi/dfu/dfu_transport_serial.py", line 243, in send_packet
    ack = self.get_ack_nr()
  File "/Users/ryan/Library/Python/3.9/lib/python/site-packages/nordicsemi/dfu/dfu_transport_serial.py", line 282, in get_ack_nr
    raise NordicSemiException("No data received on serial port. Not able to proceed.")
nordicsemi.exceptions.NordicSemiException: No data received on serial port. Not able to proceed.

Possible causes:
- Selected Bootloader version does not match the one on Bluefruit device.
    Please upgrade the Bootloader or select correct version in Tools->Bootloader.
- Baud rate must be 115200, Flow control must be off.
- Target is not in DFU mode. Ground DFU pin and RESET and release both to enter DFU mode.
I've got nothing but patience, thanks for helping to try to figure this thing out with me!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Those nine devices showing all showing up at the same time (in my clipped image from your screenshot) are what our boards looks like. It may be that MacOS is somewhat confused about communicating with the device, but it appears to be recognizing the board enough to create the /dev links.

Does it make a difference if you unplug the Feather Sense, reboot your MacOS laptop, plug the Feather Sense back in and try the other device /dev/cu.usbmodem009[...]. It will have a new device name on reboot.

ShiftyMcCool

Post by ShiftyMcCool »

Not sure what it is, but those devices disappear/reappear when I unplug/replug my LG monitor. I thought it was my keyboard (uses an Elite-C controller) but the devices are still there when I unplug it.

I rebooted, unplugged everything from my MacBook, got a devices.before, plugged in the Feather using the direct usb-c -> micro-b cable, and got a devices.after and I don't see any new devices, just the changed numbers from before. I attached both files since I just happened to get lucky and show the correct part of the list with my screenshot before, maybe you can see something else having the entire list.
Attachments
devices.after.txt
(20.47 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
devices.before.txt
(20.47 KiB) Downloaded 2 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Okay, that is helpful that the monitor seems to create various devices.

Comparing the two files you posted in both cases I no longer see the /dev/tty.usbmodem[...] or /dev/cu.usbmodem[...] which is the start of the device names we are looking for in the case of a Feather Sense.

What has changed here? Were we getting the device names when you were using the USB hub and plugging in the USB-A --> USB-micro-b cable? Things do not appear to work when you go straight from USB-C --> Micro-B.

ShiftyMcCool

Post by ShiftyMcCool »

Sorry if I wasn't clear with my previous comment. The tty.usbmodem/cu.usbmodem devices are what I was referring to disappearing when I unplug my monitor. I removed my monitor from the equation with the most recent tests. I wonder if LG uses something like these devices in their monitors?

I removed my monitors again and tried with the usb hub but still no new devices.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”