HUZZAH32 Power Supply Options

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ss2432

HUZZAH32 Power Supply Options

Post by ss2432 »

Hello, I am using Huzzah32 ESP32 Feather for my project controlling stepper motors wirelessly.

I plan to upload the sketch to the board, and when the micro USB is pulled out, the board still runs with another power source.
However, I don't want the board fully on the Lipo battery. So I tried some options, but it's causing problems.

Here are two options I have. (Please see the photos)

One uses the JST connector as a primary power source from the step-down converter (I have two types. 3.7v and 4.2v).
Basically, I upload the sketch and take out the USB. Then power switches to the JST. Thus, the board still gets the power continuously.
It looks like it gets the power, but the motor malfunctions and does not work as I wanted.

The other option is to use the Lipo battery as an intermediary power source. I upload the sketch, pull the micro-USB off (still getting power from Lipo) then connect the 5v USB. (USB Data-cable -> Lipo Battery -> USB Charging-cable). This also causes malfunctioning.

The only option that works so far is just to rely on the battery after uploading/disconnecting the micro-USB. This isn't ideal because I need to recharge the battery every day and worry about losing power. (I am using 24v DC power with a 3 splitter. Two power the stepper drivers, and the other powers the Huzzah32 with a step-down converter.)

What would be the most reliable way to get continuous power after uploading the sketch and disconnecting the board from the computer?

Also, is boot-loading available with this board whenever it's restarted?

Please let me know. Thanks!
20210615_092730.jpg
20210615_092730.jpg (848.67 KiB) Viewed 98 times
20210615_092622.jpg
20210615_092622.jpg (991.88 KiB) Viewed 98 times
ddd.JPG
ddd.JPG (17.66 KiB) Viewed 98 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”