Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 3-4 business days. On MLK Day no orders will be shipped.

Issues with Wi-Fi Feather responding to TCP
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Issues with Wi-Fi Feather responding to TCP

by tkr65536 on Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:05 pm

Hi,
I have a Adafruit Feather M0 WiFi - ATSAMD21 + ATWINC1500 with the adalogger feather wing and the 4x7-segment display feather wing and am running into occasional Wi-Fi issues. The board is assigned an IP address by DHCP, ideally with a Static DHCP address to avoid having to reprogram the board to change IP addresses.

There appear to be two issues:
1. Sometimes the board responds to the Static DHCP address, other times it responds to the first DHCP address it had on the network (before the Static DHCP address was reserved). This may have been affected by a conflict on the Static DHCP address, but there should not be any device there. I'm currently investigating this as well but am not on-site.

2. The board will work for a long period of time (1-2 days) and then stop responding to TCP requests. It will be pingable on the network as if nothing happened, but it will no longer respond to TCP requests. The error message printed out on the server is "Connection reset by peer"

For a little more context, the code was working for a while in my home before installing the system in it's current location and is a hand-written implementation of the protocol here: https://www.zabbix.com/documentation/5. ... ivepassive

Thoughts on what might be going on? Where to look for the bug? And what "Connection reset by peer" means?

Thank you,
Teddy

tkr65536

Re: Issues with Wi-Fi Feather responding to TCP

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:21 pm

I don't have any idea what would cause problems with the IP address, but 'connection reset by peer' means the Wifi connection dropped. That could be due to signal interference, or because its dhcp lease on the address has expired.

In general, wireless connections are much more sensitive to interference than wired connections. It isn't a question of whether the connection will drop, but when. If you want a device that stays connected for any length of time, add code that checks the Wifi connection before calling any function that assumes a working connection is present, and reconnect if necessary.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.