Feather 32u4 RFM95 LoRa Radio

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Sticks50

Feather 32u4 RFM95 LoRa Radio

Post by Sticks50 »

I purchased 2 of the Feather 32u4 RFM95 LoRa Radio boards. So far, using the code provided by Adafruit for the Arduino IDE code, etc....I cannot get the two units communicating. The transmitter for "Hello World" is working but not getting a message back. The receiver side is not making it into the Loop section of the code past the if available portion. I checked all my soldering and made sure the receiving code was exactly what was given in the instructions. I then switched units, and uploaded the switched IDE code, and it completed the same....no communication and the receiver (even though it was the other) still didn't make it past the if available loop. I switched cables to each but none of this worked. I checked each unit to ensure I received the correct matching products. Both carried the P3078 Adafruit number on them....but saw that the bar code numbers were different. I checked my 433mHz pair and both have the same bar code at the bottom. So far these bar code numbers, W12810-C and it's mate of W11227-B are the only difference I can find in the set up. Are these units the same? The "Hello World" code works on either pair, and the "And Hello Back To You" code stalls on either pair before getting into the loop. Need help on this as this is my first project with this component and I have spent a small fortune to switch my project over to Adafruit products.

TI545

Re: Feather 32u4 RFM95 LoRa Radio

Post by TI545 »

Do you have both feathers connected to USB, including the receiver "and hello back to you" also connected to the Serial Console? If I remember correctly, both have the "If !serial" in the logic, so the logic waits forever if the serial console is not connected.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Are you trying the basic RX/TX example from here?
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-fea ... m-9x-radio
The receiver side is not making it into the Loop section of the code past the if available portion.
If using the above examples, you should see either a "LoRa radio init failed" or a "LoRa radio init OK!" message before the loop. Are you getting one of those?

dgnorton

Post by dgnorton »

Do you have both feathers connected to USB, including the receiver "and hello back to you" also connected to the Serial Console? If I remember correctly, both have the "If !serial" in the logic, so the logic waits forever if the serial console is not connected.
Thanks. That was my issue. I hadn't paid close enough attention to the test code in the tutorial. I had two Feather M0 boards that weren't communicating. By chance, I was always plugging the transmitter side into the serial port and checking that it was transmitting using an RTL-SDR. I was plugging the receiving Feather into a wall power supply so it was never getting past that check for Serial being ready. I commented out all the Serial lines on the receiver's code and communication started working. Thanks again and hope this helps someone else.

adafruit_support_carter

Cool. Glad it was something simple. That little trap gets people all the time. Thanks @TI545 for the suggestion.

Sticks50

Post by Sticks50 »

I am receiving the ""LoRa radio init OK!" but not getting into the loop. I have the receiver plugged into one computer and the transmitter into another computer. I can't monitor the transmitter in serial since it's on an old computer and basically just using it to power up the transmitter....my little Window's 10 laptop is where I monitor the Serial. Does Adafruit do any "outside" programming on contract?

adafruit_support_carter

@Sticks50 You may be running into the same general issue since you are not opening the serial monitor on the "old computer" and just using it for power. Try commenting out the line(s) as suggested above. If that still does not work, please start a new thread for your issue.

Comment out these lines in the sketch being used on the Feather being powered by the old computer:

Code: Select all

while (!Serial) {
    delay(1);
  }
Does Adafruit do any "outside" programming on contract?
No. But you can try posting request for help needed in the Jobs board.
https://jobs.adafruit.com/

Sticks50

Post by Sticks50 »

Didn't work....walking away...frustrations too high. Thank you though for your help.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”