Huzzah32 has stopped listening

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DrPhysics555

Huzzah32 has stopped listening

Post by DrPhysics555 »

My Huzzah32 Feather was working well when suddenly I can not get the computers (Both Windows and Raspbain) to upload a new program to it. I keep getting the following error: "A fatal error occurred: Timed out waiting for packet header." I searched on here for an answer, but I could not find anything that correlated to what is happening to me. I have swapped a number of cables. I have plugged it into a powered USB hub. I have the stackable header, so no soldering by me. Any ideas to try next?

mikeysklar

Re: Huzzah32 has stopped listening

Post by mikeysklar »

Can you post a photo of your board. I just want to verify it is a huzzah32 and everything works correctly.

Also a screenshot of the Arduino Tools Menu so we can make sure the correct board / port settings are being used.

Have you been able to verify another device works with some one of the USB cables so we can rule that out?

DrPhysics555

Post by DrPhysics555 »

I have attached the requested pictures. I have used the cable to successfully talk to a Huzzah 8266. Also, my students successfully used yet a different cable that I tried and failed, but they were successful connecting to their Huzzah32.

The device in question was working fine. I honestly don't know what happened.
Attachments
Image of the bottom of the Huzzah32
Image of the bottom of the Huzzah32
image_67507969.JPG (366.81 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Image of Huzzah32 from top
Image of Huzzah32 from top
image_67211265.JPG (352.69 KiB) Viewed 249 times
Image of Arduino  tools menu
Image of Arduino tools menu
image_67162625.JPG (536.15 KiB) Viewed 249 times

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

It sounds like the Windows machine has the SiLabs CP210x drivers installed and the Pi is detecting the USB connection. Is that correct? When you plug in another one of the Huzzah32 into the same machine it is able to be detected and upload code?

Does it make a different if you press reset after hitting the upload button for the code?

DrPhysics555

Post by DrPhysics555 »

I can check on the second Huzzah32 tomorrow when I teach my class. I have tried hitting the reset, but my timing is off if that is the problem. Is there a pin I can tie to ground to help with this? I know one of the other feathers I have used in the past had to have that. I know the Huzzah32 is supposed to already have that enabled by default, but in this case, maybe that connection is not working?

I'll add more in the afternoon.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Since you have a lab for of gear the best scenario to narrow things down would be to successfully program a working Huzzah32 at the Windows machine in question then using the exact same cable and system try to program the Huzzah32 that has been producing the "fatal error" message.

DrPhysics555

Post by DrPhysics555 »

So I hooked up a new Huzzah to a Raspberry Pi and sent blink to it. It worked as expected. I then plugged in the Huzzah that has been misbehaving and attempted to do the same thing with the same USB cable in the same USB port on the same Raspberry Pi. The Huzzah caused a time-out in the Arduino interface. I then tried various timing of hitting the reset button when attempting to upload the sketch, but that didn't work at all. The only other time I have seen something similar is when a student accidentally wires the 3.3 volt pin on the Huzzah to 5V. When found, and the wire is removed from the five-volt source, the Huzzah behaves as expected. I know that the Huzzah in question never saw five volts on the 3.3 volt line, since this is my personal one, and I have not cross-wired it ever. Any ideas on what to try next?

Thansk!

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Last thing I can thinking of is trying to flash the bootloader with the Arduino IDE or the esptool manually. It feels like a long shot since you are having fatal communication issues, but maybe a hope with well timed reset button presses.

Since it is not a driver, cable or USB issue as you have proven with a working board. We can easily replace the board for you if it was purchased from us in the last month. Is that the case?

DrPhysics555

Post by DrPhysics555 »

I think I found the issue. It ended up being my fault after all. By some stupidity on my part, I wired a 5V source into the ground plane. I didn't find it till I revisited the robot and found a tiny jumper a ways away from where the Huzzah was plugged in. That's why I missed it for so long. I thank you for your time and apologize for not seeing my mistake sooner.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Glad you found it. Thanks for getting back to us with the 5v to GND plane issue.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”