ESP32 Feather and Adalogger Issues

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Hobson

ESP32 Feather and Adalogger Issues

Post by Hobson »

I know this has been a topic before. I am starting a new thread since I couldn't find my issue in the previous posts.

I have an ESP32 Feather connected to an Adalogger Featherwing. The RTC runs fine but I always get an SD card mount error. Things I have done
- I have two ESP32 Feathers, I have tried them both and have the problem with both
- I have connected the Adalogger to a Feather 32u4 and it works fine.
- I have changed the CS to 33, and also tried A9 which I saw in another post. Neither works.
- I tried the pinMode(33, output) the digital write High and Low and it wasn't any different. I did both to see if I could measure the voltage on pin 33 to see if it was even changing. It does change from low to high etc.
- I tried the SD standard examples and the SD examples form the ESP32 specific package. I checked that #define <FS.h> was included.
- I have years of libraries and packages installed, so I uninstalled and deleted all associated arduino files and started from scratch with installing drivers, Arduino IDE and the ESP32 board as described in the tutorial. I still get the error.

This last time that I started from scratch, I notice that when I install the ESP32 boards the SD examples under the heading "Examples for Any Boards" goes away. This didnt happen previously. Is this relevant?

I'm all out of ideas at this point. Any recommendations?

adafruit_support_carter

Re: ESP32 Feather and Adalogger Issues

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

If you are using a newer BSP release, try going back to the 1.0.6 release.

This failed for me also with 2.0.0 release. Reverting to 1.0.6 fixed it.

May be related?
https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/issues/5567

Hobson

Post by Hobson »

I reverted to BSP 1.0.6 and that did not fix the problem. I also setup an ESP8266 feather with the adalogger featherwings that I have and I was able to get those to work. I also uninstalled and deleted all Arduino related files and started from scratch with the install to use a BSP 1.0.6 version and that didn't work.

adafuit_support_carter, Any other suggestions? Would you be willing to send me a complete list of your versions and which example and support files you are using to make the ESP32 work?

adafruit_support_carter

Not sure. What is the current error you are getting when using the 1.0.6 BSP release with the ESP32?

saeneas

Post by saeneas »

Hey,
had the same issue.. removing the 33 from !SD.begin(33) solved it for me:

Code: Select all

if(!SD.begin()){
    Serial.println("Card Mount Failed");
    return;
  }
Got it from the ESP32 SD example.. If this doesn't work for you, our sketch worked out of the box when uploaded with platform.io without any specific libraries, so I figured it was some issue there.
Hope it helps!

Hobson

Post by Hobson »

I get the same error I have been having which is SD.begin() (and variants of that SD.being(33);....) does not start. I don't have any other tools to give a better diagnostic. As I mentioned in the above posts, I have used the same Adalogger wings for other setups with a 32u4 and an ESP8266, so I know the hardware on the adalogger is working. I can get the RTC to work with the ESP32.

I have been using Arduino 1.8.16, adafruit_support_carter, what are you using to upload?

adafruit_support_carter

If it's an issue with the ESP32 Board Support Package, it would generally not matter what version of the Arduino IDE is being used, as long as not super old. The Arduino IDE version and the Board Support Package version are two separate things.

To check the ESP32 BSP, go to Tools -> Board -> Boards Manager...

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”