Feather nRF52840: "Can not be used as a 'client'"

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
TheAsset25

Feather nRF52840: "Can not be used as a 'client'"

Post by TheAsset25 »

Apologies if this question has been answered somewhere in the forums already; I did not see a specific answer, though I somewhat inferred the answer from viewtopic.php?f=24&t=178682&p=869783&hi ... 27#p869783. I still wanted to clarify before I make any purchases.

I'm just looking for confirmation on what this 'Cons' statement means exactly from the bluetooth feather board overview pages for the nRF52 boards: "Can not be used as a 'client' with your favorite MCU at the moment" ... does this mean that two of the nRF52 boards cannot be used to talk to one another , where each is also connected to another board/ MCU? I assume this is what that means, but from looking at the schematics, it looks like the nRF52 board has a SPI interface, and the documentation on the product page for the feather nRF2 mentions you can "write your own to communicate with the UART service"; if those capabilities exist, then I was confused why a client setup cannot be achieved.

Ultimately the setup I'm considering is 2 separate nodes, one with an Arduino Uno + Bluetooth board (considering nRF52/bRF51) talking to another setup with a Bluetooth board (considering nRF52/bRF51) + Feather HUZZAH ESP8266 (yes, looking for Wi-Fi and bluetooth on this node).

TheAsset25

Re: Feather nRF52840: "Can not be used as a 'client'"

Post by TheAsset25 »

I found the following FAQ page for the nR52 feather boards ( https://learn.adafruit.com/bluefruit-nr ... guide/faqs ) ; it seems that it specifies they can technically be run in Central mode and can talk one to another via one set peripheral mode and the other in central.

This clarification seems to amplify my question; if the boards can talk to each other and they support SPI interfaces to MCU boards, why then can't they be used as a client to an MCU? (unless i've misunderstood the use of client in this case)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and clarifications!

hathach

Re: Feather nRF52840: "Can not be used as a 'client'"

Post by hathach »

nRF52 (832 and 840) can run as client (central role) just fine, you can try one of the stock example for hand-on experience https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_nR ... es/Central

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”