ESP32 Feather HUZZAH32 + Ethernet W5500 FeatherWing?

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Peet

ESP32 Feather HUZZAH32 + Ethernet W5500 FeatherWing?

Post by Peet »

I have been scouring the internet for days trying to find a definitive answer to this and it's only lead me to circles and dead ends:

How does one get the Adafruit Ethernet FeatherWing (WIZnet W5500) to work with the Adafruit ESP32 HUZZAH32 Feather Board?

The official Adafruit Guide for the Adafruit Ethernet FeatherWing (WIZnet W5500) at https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-wiz ... eatherwing
  • First says to use the Ethernet2 library (which I assume was different at some point than the Ethernet Library... VERSION 2.0.0???)
  • Then on the next page, says to use the Ethernet Library as default from Arduino. I am not sure which of these was updated most recently.
    • Does this second page mean the new Arduino Ethernet Library that Ethernet2 was deprecated for?
    • The github says Ethernet2 is deprecated and the official Ethernet Library from Arduino should be used...
    • There is even a post on the github, in relation to ESP32, that the original Ethernet library should now be used: https://github.com/adafruit/Ethernet2/issues/32
  • Then there are some random mentions on the internet that seem to suggest you need to use a DIFFERENT Ethernet2 Library (aka not the Adafruit one I guess? and not Ethernet VERSION 2.0.0?) with ESP32 and W5500 - I remember seeing this once and I can't remember where I saw it, if I find the page again I will update this post.
  • There is also mention on Paul Stoffregen's Gihub archive of the Ethernet library (which says that it supports and has been tested with ESP32 and W5500) that maybe you need to go into SPI.h and change something?
Long story short, I have tried all of these things, in every possible combination that I can think of, for hours over the past couple days, and I have had zero success. Occasionally it will pop up a serial connection and say something like Ethernet Device not found or DHCP failed, but half the time, the serial monitor just shows nothing (same in PuTTY).

I was just hoping for a definitive answer: How does one get the W5500 Ethernet FeatherWing to work with the HUZZAH32 Feather Board?

OR

Is it just not supported? Even though ESP32 is listed in the example code for the Ethernet Arduino Sketch?
If it is not supported, that is fine, I will try going in another direction with my project.

Thanks to anyone who can help me on this - it seems like a very obvious gap in the Adafruit documentation at this point, but I know trying to keep up with the documentation is a nightmare since there are so many boards and accessories and so many redundant places that the data has to be updated - I hope the new documentation system (recently mentioned in a livestream) that goes in a more "template" direction will help ease that burden.

dawson1331

Re: ESP32 Feather HUZZAH32 + Ethernet W5500 FeatherWing?

Post by dawson1331 »

I have the same issues trying to find out what libraries I should use to run the Ethernet FeatherWing with the ESP22. The libraries and documentation are confusing. Today I did get the library example "WebClient.ino" working using Ethernet.h. I also got a version working using Ethernet2.h.

What I cannot get to compile is the example WebServer.ino under either Ethernet.h to Ethernet2.h. The error message I get is:
WebServer:30:16: error: cannot declare variable 'server' to be of abstract type 'EthernetServer'
EthernetServer server(80);

I read somewhere that the Server version may not even be supported.

Does any one know about EthernetServer declaration? What libraries I should be using?

Peet, I can share with you what I did to get WebClient to run, if you haven't already. Let me know.

Thanks,

Bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”