HUZZAH32 – ESP32 Feather compared to the new ESP32-S2 TFT Fe

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
meisner

HUZZAH32 – ESP32 Feather compared to the new ESP32-S2 TFT Fe

Post by meisner »

I just started a project using the HUZZAH32 – ESP32 Feather and the next version will include a small display. Then Adafruit announces exactly what I need...I think - the ESP32-S2 TFT Feather!

I understand there is the new display, but from a programming point of view, what is different? There appears to be more PSRAM and only 1 processor available. I am utilizing wifi so this may be a problem for me. I am not using Bluetooth, so the fact that is not included in the new model is fine.

My project uses the TXD & RXD, which haven't moved. Also, A9 is now A10 ... I can change this in mode code easy enough. Everything else uses I2C.

Should I be concerned with any compatibility problems using the new board (when they come in stock).

meisner

Re: HUZZAH32 – ESP32 Feather compared to the new ESP32-S2 TF

Post by meisner »

I received my ESP32-S2 TFT Feather and hooked it up. Immediately I noticed some of the pin names have changed. For example, instead of "A9", I have to use the value 10.

I am building an air quality sensor and am having no problems with the particle sensor connected to the ART and powered via the GPIO10 or D10 ...or pin 10 :D. But I cannot get the I2C peripherals working (SGP40 and SHTC3). I tried the I2C_Scan from the Adafruit Testbed sketch, but it also comes up empty.

FYI: I am using Arduino (v1.8.15).

This code I am working on was working 100% perfectly with the Huzzah32 Feather. Are there any examples of I2C code out there for this Feather that are not based on CircuitPython?

Any thoughts as to why I2C appears to not be working? I read the over at https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-esp ... r/overview and did see mention of powering I2C, but it also says it is enabled by default in Arduino IDE.

I am at a loss at this point...

meisner

Post by meisner »

forgot to mention, I am also using the board manager:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/espre ... index.json

And the devices have pull-up resistors on them. Although they are 20K ... is that ok? It was with the ESP32.

meisner

Post by meisner »

I put an oscilloscope on the digital & analog pins and found that 9 & 11 do not respond to digitalWrite(HIGH) commands. All of the other D pins do. Also, A4 does not and all other analog pins do. I can also toggle the TFT backlight (pin 45) and I can see the backlight toggling.

I also tried toggling TFT_POWER (pin 21) high, but no difference.

On the scope, I see no clock signal on SCL when running the I2C_Scan sketch.

_ANY_ ideas here?

meisner

Post by meisner »

OK, fixed! At least I think...

After a bunch of testing, it looks like the key was to set the I2C_PWR high (pin 21);

Code: Select all

analogWrite (I2C_POWER, HIGH);
It hasn't been super reliable, but there may be other issues going on with this foreign air quality board I am working on.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”