328P - avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
techdinghy

328P - avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Post by techdinghy »

First time connecting new Feather 328P to MacBook but can not upload sketch. Arduino IDE reports "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding". I have configured IDE for the Adafruit Feather 328P board and the "/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART" port that is listed when I plug the Feather into my USB port. Headers have been soldered to the Feather, but the board is not plugged in to anything. Battery charging LED flashes rapidly; red LED (#13) flashes "dot dot dot, dash, dot dot dot, dash" repeatedly.

Have tried to upload Blink sketch as well as others. Same USB cable works fine on same computer to upload sketch to Metro board (after configuring IDE for the Metro rather than the Feather 328P).

What else can I try to resolve this? Thanks.

mikeysklar

Re: 328P - avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not respond

Post by mikeysklar »

Your setup sounds all good.

Are you also pressing the reset button? Press it after compiling and just before uploading of the blink example code.

techdinghy

Post by techdinghy »

OK - I have been able t get sketches to upload by pressing the reset button. I also set the IDE preferences to show verbose output during upload after reading similar posts related to this board.

This works if I keep trying - sometimes takes multiple attempts. Is there a solution that's not quite so random?

I have a colleague who played around with the board and noted:
I was able to get the feather 328p working consistently. I had to flash a new bootloader to it via my arduino uno, and programs also have to be flashed at 57600 baud instead of 115200 baud.

Is the problem brought on by both a corrupted bootloader and too fast a transmission rate?

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Interesting find about the lower baud rate making things more consistent. Thanks for sharing that.

The 328 typically requires well timed reset presses. It does get easier. Not all chips require this if you were looking to upgrade to a more modern processor.

techdinghy

Post by techdinghy »

ok - thanks.

FK_Exp

Post by FK_Exp »

Hi all,

I have the same issue as described in this thread.
However I have 34 (!) boards that all show the same issue, tested against two macs: macbook Pro (OSX 12.1) and iMac (OSX 10.11).

I'm preparing a class for my students (many of which are on mac) and would love to use the 328p feather because of its reference to the original UNO but with the lipo integration.
This upload situation however is a big dealbreaker for beginners in my opinion.
mikeysklar wrote: Are you also pressing the reset button? Press it after compiling and just before uploading of the blink example code.
Is pressing the reset button the accepted practice for feathers?
If so, why is there no mention on the Feather 328p reference learning guide?
techdinghy wrote: I have a colleague who played around with the board and noted:
I was able to get the feather 328p working consistently. I had to flash a new bootloader to it via my arduino uno, and programs also have to be flashed at 57600 baud instead of 115200 baud.
I'd love to try and flash new bootloaders to see if I can get the boards to work more consistently. Could you or anyone supply instructions for this? Also which bootloader to use?
I know how to flash a bootloader to Arduino boards using an UNO as ISP programmer, but a good guide for Feathers would be appreciated (considering the 3.3V level).

Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”