Feather 32U4 LoRa problems

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Kabooom

Feather 32U4 LoRa problems

Post by Kabooom »

I've got a Feather 32u4 RFM9x LoRa Radio board with RFM9c chip and thinkering with it but have some problems.

Downloaded the MCCI_LoRaWAN_LMIC_library and installed it properly with the manager.

First I made a new ABP device in the ThingsNetwork and used the examples-> ttn-abp in Arduino IDE. Configured the lmic_project_config.h file to define the European region.
Filled in the 3x spots for the APPEUI etc.. and unchecked the counter. Then uploaded the sketch. Sketch is succesfull uploaded and I can see with my Laptop with a RTL-SDR stick that every minute a message is send in the air. But at the TTN I don't receive anything? (I do have an TTN gateway nearby).

Then I tried to use the Examples->ttn-OTAA and made new OTAA device etc.. But when I want to upload the sketch the Feather get dropped from Windows and a message shows up that the 'USB device not recognized'.

Now my feather was bricked. But with verbose option on and examples->blink I can get the board working again.

Anyone know that is going wrong both receiving at TTN and the OTAA upload?

TI545

Re: Feather 32U4 LoRa problems

Post by TI545 »

Kaboom, a couple of comments about this. You wrote TTN. Maybe you know, or maybe not, but TTN has changed a lot since the adafruit LoRa tutorial was written. They've updated to TTN v3, which is quite different, and they call TTS The Things Stack. That's probably why your RTL-SDR can see the data being sent, but it doesn't show up on TTN.

It's possible the LMIC with OTAA requires more RAM than the LMIC with ABP, so that may cause problems for you and the 32u4.

There is a very helpful posting about this subject (LMIC and 32u4) on the TTN forums here:
https://www.thethingsnetwork.org/forum/ ... opic/15273

The good information is at the top of the discussion, the rest of it diverges from the main topic.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”