ESP8266 Feather Deep Sleep with E-Ink Featherwing

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mgray88

ESP8266 Feather Deep Sleep with E-Ink Featherwing

Post by mgray88 »

First project and I'm looking to create a wireless, battery operated, refrigerator temp alarm. I'm adding a 2.13" E-Ink Featherwing to the Feather Huzzah ESP8266, and using a DS18B20 1-Wire digital temperature sensor.

From my understanding, it looks like the only way to put the board in deep sleep and have it wake back up, is using GPIO16. However this is also the pin that the display uses for SRAM Chip Select, and doesn't appear to modifiable in software.

So three questions then:
1. Is there any way to wake the board up from deep sleep that doesn't use GPIO16?
2. If not, can I change the SRCS pin for the display in software?
3. If not, if not, it looks like GPIO5 is unused by the display. Could I cut the trace for SRCS and add a jumper connecting the pads for those two pins?

edit because I'm an idiot and hit submit before finishing

mikeysklar

Re: ESP8266 Feather Deep Sleep with E-Ink Featherwing

Post by mikeysklar »

You can pull the reset pin low to wake it up.

https://randomnerdtutorials.com/esp8266 ... duino-ide/
You can also wake up the ESP8266 with an external wake up, like the press of a button or a reed switch. You just need to put the ESP8266 in deep sleep mode for an indefinite period of time, and then set the RST pin to LOW to wake it up.

To test this setup, wire a pushbutton to your ESP8266 board as shown in the following schematic diagram. When you press the pushbutton, the RST pin goes LOW.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”