QT-Py-ESP32-S2 pinout

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
itab

QT-Py-ESP32-S2 pinout

Post by itab »

QT-Py-ESP32-S2 pinout shows TXD on GPIO5 (ESP32-S2 pin 10) and RXD on GPIO16 (ESP32-S2 pin 22).
These are not the hardware UART pins of ESP32-S2.

I traced the pins on your PCB fab. RXD is connected to GPIO44 (not to GPIO16) that is indeed a UART RXD pin
but TXD is connected to GPIO5 that is not a TXD pin.

Can you please shed some light on this.

neradoc

Re: QT-Py-ESP32-S2 pinout

Post by neradoc »

itab wrote:QT-Py-ESP32-S2 pinout shows TXD on GPIO5 (ESP32-S2 pin 10) and RXD on GPIO16 (ESP32-S2 pin 22).
These are not the hardware UART pins of ESP32-S2.
Maybe they are not connected with IOMUX, but they can be used through the GPIO Matrix anyway.
I don't know enough about ESP to know what the drawbacks are, but the pins can be used with the hardware UART peripheral.
itab wrote:I traced the pins on your PCB fab. RXD is connected to GPIO44 (not to GPIO16)
I think you're reading the chip schematics upside down. The chip is on the bottom of the PCB, so you have to mirror it to match the pins, and the dot is at the bottom right when looking at the chip, so bottom left on the mirrored version. So what you think is 44 is actually IO16. While IO5 is indeed IO5.
Attachments
qtpyesp32s2-chip-match.jpg
qtpyesp32s2-chip-match.jpg (356.95 KiB) Viewed 64 times

itab

Re: QT-Py-ESP32-S2 pinout

Post by itab »

Yes, you are absolutely correct, the pins are connected as per schematic but what a weird choice to bring out these pins for TXD and RXD.

I was hoping to use a serial port for firmware uploading to free up the USB port for OTG testing. I am not sure it is possible or how to connect
them through GPIO matrix during boot.

Does anyone know?
(I am using C++ with Platformio)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”