LSM6DSOX / ISM330DHCX - external I2C/SPI port

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
BootsyC

LSM6DSOX / ISM330DHCX - external I2C/SPI port

Post by BootsyC »

Hello all,

Is it possible to connect an Adafruit Mini GPS PA1010D https://www.adafruit.com/product/4415 to the "external" I2C/SPI port of a LSM6DSOX / ISM330DHCX unit https://www.adafruit.com/product/4502.

Where the "primary port" from the LSM6DSOX / ISM330DHCX is connected to my ESP32-S2 Feather.
My goal is to build a GPS and tracker with a gyroscope with the following "daisy chain" setup and read both sensors simultaneously.

The documentation of the LSM6DSOX / ISM330DHCX specifies: "..For advanced usage, you can attach additional devices to an external I2C/SPI port - used for optical image stabilization.."

Crude outline of the daisy chain setup:

ESP32-S2 Feather <> primary I2C port ||| <=== i2C cable ===> ||| primary i2C port <> LSM6DSOX / ISM330DHCX <> Aux i2C port |||. <===i2C cable===> ||| primary i2C port <> PA1010D GPS |||

Thanks in advance for the guidance!

freddyboomboom

Re: LSM6DSOX / ISM330DHCX - external I2C/SPI port

Post by freddyboomboom »

I don't see why not.

Both breakout boards have Stemma QT connectors on both sides, and they are usually able to be daisy chained.

As long as they are not using different voltage levels or the same i2c address, they should work together.

Make sure you verify the voltages they use and the i2c addresses.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Should be able to connect the PID 4415 with the PID 4502 with STEMMA QT cables and simply use as is. No need to use that "external" port on the LSM.

BootsyC

Post by BootsyC »

Thanks Freddyboomboom for the quick reply!

At support_carter, appreciate the input.

To clarify, I'd like to use both PID 4415 (GPS) and PID 4502 (Accelerometer) simultaneously (connected) with the ESP32-S2 Feather (https://www.adafruit.com/product/5300).

Unless I mistaken the feather has only one STEMMA QT connector to connect only one sensor. Hence the thinking of "daisy chain" the GPS and Accelerometer in order both to work simultaneously with the Feather.

My apologies if I'm mistaken.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

I2C allows for multiple devices on the same bus, as long as each has a unique address. You can daisy chain multiple STEMMA QT breakouts (devices) - note how each has *two* connectors.

The host controller (the Feather) only has one, since there should only be one host on the I2C bus.

BootsyC

Post by BootsyC »

Great. That clarifies matters.
I'll keep progress posted here.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”