Need help choosing feather

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Balleklorin04

Need help choosing feather

Post by Balleklorin04 »

Hi, I need help choosing a feather. I have buildt a garage door sensor at school with a feather huzza 32, 128x64 oled screen mono chrome and a RFM LoRa 96 433mhz transiver module on the reciving side. On the transmitting side there is a arduino nano with the same wireles transiver.

So I wanted to purches what I need so I can use it at home. I scrolled through the store to adafruit and found a feather with the wireles module soldered on (Adafruit Feather 32u4 RFM96 LoRa Radio - 433MHz - RadioFruit). But I do not know if it has enough ram or storage, or what ever the feather uses to store the code. Beacuse of the graphic I have in the code, it got to bigg for the arduino nano I first used and got an error while uploading. So I moved on to the huzza 32 beacuse how powerfull it is.

So I need some feedback or help to see if I can use the radio fruit instead of having a 433mHz module and a huzza 32.

Radio fruit: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3079

Huzza 32 that I use: https://www.adafruit.com/product/3405

Reciver code in attached file.
Attachments

[The extension ino has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Franklin97355

Re: Need help choosing feather

Post by Franklin97355 »

There is this for a little more power. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3179

Balleklorin04

Post by Balleklorin04 »

Will it be enough?

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

It may be tight. The 32u4 processors have about 2 kilobytes of RAM for read/write variables (and 32 kilobytes of flash memory to hold the code). A 128x64 OLED screen would need roughly 1 kilobyte of RAM to hold the screen contents in memory. Your Nano uses a 328P processor, but it has the same amount of memory.

So, you would want to go to a processor with more memory and/or possibly use a smaller screen. Looking at the Lora feathers, it looks like the only option is the M0 feather which includes the LORA chip or use a featherwing to add it: As it says in the docs, you want 433Mhz for Europe and 915Mhz for the Americas.

But do you need Lora? it has a 2km range. Using wifi and/or bluetooth has shorter ranges. Your huzzah32 supports both wifi and bluetooth if memory serves. But wifi and bluetooth each has their own challenges in setup.

Balleklorin04

Post by Balleklorin04 »

Thank you for your good reply. I am worried that bluetooth range wil be to short. The garage is not so close to the front door where I want to mount the display. Some devices has excellent bluetooth range other wil not even reach through a simple wall. Ok, I think case closed. Feather wing is a good idea. Have looked at it myself.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”