ESP32 Feather V2 I2C SCL Pin 20 Error Clarification

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Ashfox

ESP32 Feather V2 I2C SCL Pin 20 Error Clarification

Post by Ashfox »

I was just about to pre-order several ESP32 Feather V2's (ADA5400) from Digkey. We are currently using the V1 with a custom shield.
I thought it was worth ‘upgrading’ now, mainly for the extra flash, but it seems there are still teething problems.
I wish to get clarification on the following issue:

Pin 20 is not supported for I2C. Use the adjacent pin 14 as the I2C clock pin (SCL).

Is this a hardware issue and will it be fixed, or is it a firmware issue? If it is a firmware issue, does it affect both Arduino and Micro python?

Since we are using an existing shield, I cannot swap SCL to Pin 14. I would really like to purchase this board now or in the near future, but I would like to know when the issue is fixed, if there is a new hardware version, and how can I check that I’m actually buying the updated version.
Thanks

dastels

Re: ESP32 Feather V2 I2C SCL Pin 20 Error Clarification

Post by dastels »

Read the info block that's next:
When selecting the new Feather ESP32 V2 board in the Espressif board support package, the correct numbers will be substituted. Note the names are in the same spots, we haven't changed where the I2C/UART/SPI pins are located on the board, just which ESP32 pin numbers they are connected to in the module.
It sounds like the physical pin is the same, but the logical pin in your code will need to change from 20 to 14. Still, rather confusing. I'll look for clarification.

Dave

Ashfox

Post by Ashfox »

@dastels

I checked the schematic and the physical IO pin for SCL is IO20, which does connect to the JP3 header pin 11 labelled SCL.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hi just to make sure - where did you see "Pin 20 is not supported for I2C. Use the adjacent pin 14 as the I2C clock pin (SCL)." writen?

Ashfox

Post by Ashfox »

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-esp ... v2/pinouts

(towards the bottom of the page in a red box)

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ok thanks, it is only for micropython

If you are using MicroPython, Pin 20 is not supported for I2C. Use the adjacent pin 14 as the I2C clock pin (SCL). This is the tracking issue: https://github.com/micropython/micropython/issues/8440 This is NOT a problem if you are using Arduino or ESP IDF directly

if youa re using arduino, it is NOT a problem

Ashfox

Post by Ashfox »

Thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”