Problems detecting HUZZAH32 on Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, et al)

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dgerton

Problems detecting HUZZAH32 on Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, et al)

Post by dgerton »

I'm posting this here because I stumbled upon a solution that I didn't see anywhere. After purchasing a new HUZZAH32 Feather, I couldn't get it to appear as a serial device in Linux.

Code: Select all

ls /dev/tty*
Following suggestions in other threads, I tried different cables, different computers, and recompiling the kernel with "new" CP210X USB drivers (a goose chase the guide put me on). I even bought another feather thinking the first might be borked.

The clue was in

dmesg
which showed there was a conflict with brltty, which is a service for braille tty devices. Unless you need to use braille, you can disable the service.

sudo systemctl stop brltty-udev.service
sudo systemctl mask brltty-udev.service
sudo systemctl stop brltty.service
sudo systemctl disable brltty.service
Unplug and plug back in your feather.

I believe brltty is installed by default in Debian, and its derivatives of which Ubuntu is one, and there are many derivatives of Ubuntu, so they have it too (pop!_os, mint, etc). I also think that both brltty and the HUZZAH32 feather want /dev/ttyUSB0 and that there is a .conf file somewhere that allows configuring brltty to use a different port, but I'll leave that exercise up to those who need it.

Hope this helps someone.

mikeysklar

Re: Problems detecting HUZZAH32 on Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, et

Post by mikeysklar »

Thank you for sharing this solution. I had not come across brltty before, but probably will see others having this same issue.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”