Bootloader for Adafruit AirLift FeatherWing - ESP32 WiFi Co-

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Anarchist_Wolf

Bootloader for Adafruit AirLift FeatherWing - ESP32 WiFi Co-

Post by Anarchist_Wolf »

Hello,

I recently just purchased a Adafruit AirLift FeatherWing - ESP32 WiFi Co-Processor. Following the guideline for the module on the website i connected it to a Teensy 4.0. Loading the basic ScanNetwork.ino does not work and the board is not picked up. I thought it might be a firmware problem. When i went to go run it in bootloader mode nothing happened. No flashing light or anything. I checked to see voltages at the USB in and it was 5v and the 3.3v out was 3.3v.

Ive triple checked to make sure my wiring is correct but im not sure how that would impact the bootloader rgb (I also manually gave the RGB pads 3.3v power and they turned on so i know they work). I soldered all the pads so does one not need to be soldered? Any information related to the matter would be greatly appreciated. I believe its a defective module at this point.

Best,
W

mikeysklar

Re: Bootloader for Adafruit AirLift FeatherWing - ESP32 WiFi

Post by mikeysklar »

We should review your wiring, soldering and code.

Can you post a photo of your hardware setup and the scannetowrks.ino you have been using?

Anarchist_Wolf

Post by Anarchist_Wolf »

Hello mikeyskylar,

I believe to have figured out part of the problem. I looked back at the wiring and messed around with it some more and believe that fixed an essential problem. (Ive never done SPI communication before).

Afterwards i was able to use an updated ScanNetworks.ino sketch detailed in this post https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/68211-teensy-4-and-wifi.

The module was working in some capacity so naturally the next step was to update the firmware using this documentation https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-air ... t-firmware. Though when I finally got to the esptools section it never could connect. What i determined to be the problem was the delays between the resets...

(in the serial monitor after i uploaded the code all i got was half of the message that was supposed to be sent, so it never had time to complete the bootloader action.)

Code: Select all

digitalWrite(ESP32_GPIO0, LOW);

digitalWrite(ESP32_RESETN, LOW);
  delay(100);
  digitalWrite(ESP32_RESETN, HIGH);
  pixel.setPixelColor(0, 20, 20, 0); pixel.show();
  delay(100);

to

digitalWrite(ESP32_GPIO0, LOW);
  delay(100);
  digitalWrite(ESP32_RESETN, LOW);
  digitalWrite(ESP32_RESETN, HIGH);
I basically removed the delays (And all the pixel stuff as it wasnt useful to me) and it went into bootloader mode. Im not exactly sure why this is, Im guessing it has something to do with the clockspeed of the Teensy 4.0.

In the end i was able to update the firmware to the newest version and the module works. Something that i still cant figure out is the RGB light and reset button dont seem to work as documented but everything works as intended (With a little bit of added code for the Teensy to run the library.)

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Good job figuring out the wiring and getting your AirLift firmware up to date. That is an advanced process. It sounds like you are up and running.

If you want to open another post about the RGB LED documentation vs behavior your see we can assist you with that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”