Input voltage for HUZZAH ESP8266

Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
k5map

Input voltage for HUZZAH ESP8266

Post by k5map »

I have a 12V DC wall adapter which I plan to connect to the Adafruit UBEC DC/DC Step-Down (Buck) Converter which outputs 5V @ 3A (Product ID: 1385).

Can I connect the 5V output side of the converter to the USB pin on the HUZZAH ESP8266 or it 5V to high for the ESP8266?

dastels

Re: Input voltage for HUZZAH ESP8266

Post by dastels »

The USB pin (aka Vbus) is 5v.

I assume you have the Feather HUZZAH ESP8266 since you mention the USB pin. Be careful because there's no protection on that pin. If you connect 5v to is and plug in a USB connection bad stuff will happen. You can avoid that by using a diode between your 5v supply and the USB pin. There is one on the USB connection and you can see how in the schematic: https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/96603.

Dave

k5map

Post by k5map »

Dave,

Yes, I am using one of my HUZZAH ESP8266. Since I will be providing power via a wired connection (not USB connection), should I provide power to the ESP8266 via a different pin than VBUS?

I was aware to not use the USB connection if there is power applied to the VBUS pin. MUCH thanks for providing the info on how to use a diode to protection that connection.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Given the caveat of not plugging in USB with external power on the USB pin, you should be good. Vbus/USB is the best way to power it other than wiring the 5v supply to a USB plug and power using the USB connector.

Right. but "HUZZAH ESP8266" could refer to either the FeatherWing or the breakout.

Dave

k5map

Post by k5map »

Dave,

Oops, my bad... All of my ESP boards are Adafruit Featherwings (LOVE 'em).

Appreciate the prompt replies to my questions. I'll check my part inventory to see if I can wire to the USB connector before using the VBUS pin.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Feather - Adafruit's lightweight platform”