CPX: IR handling under CPython ETA ?

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fpp

CPX: IR handling under CPython ETA ?

Post by fpp »

Hi,

I just received my shiny new Circuit Python Express and have started to play with it...
I must say it's an impressive piece of kit, so much functionality on this little board !

I've flashed with the latest available CircuitPython (2.1.0) and Lib bundle (2.0.0 at this time).
This thing manages to be even more user-friendly than the original pyboard :-)

All the demos I've tried work mostly fine (just had the USB volume turn "read-only" on me once :-).

I do understand that CPython support for parts of the CPX hardware is WIP right now.

One thing I'd like to use is the IR receiver : are there plans to make that work with python, and if so, is there some sort of ETA ? :-)

TIA,
fp

adafruit_support_mike

Re: CPX: IR handling under CPython ETA ?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I don't know where that is on the list, but as a rule we don't do ETAs. There are too many sources of delay that we can't control, and *way* too many people on the internet who think 'estimated' means 'guaranteed'.

I'll let the folks working on that code know you've asked about it though. Thanks!

fpp

Post by fpp »

Thanks for the follow-up Mike !

I totally support your stance on ETAs :-)

From your last line I gather there actually are "folks working on that code" though, so that sounds like a positive answer to my first question ? :-)

adafruit_support_mike

Oh yeah.. we want Circuit Python support for all the sensors and transducers on the Circuit Playground Express.

We have a triage list of priorities though, and the whole environment is kind of a moving target right now. We want to avoid the situation where each big advance in Circuit Python breaks a bunch of device libraries and forces us to go back and re-engineer things before we can move forward again.

fpp

Post by fpp »

Thanks for the feedback Mike. So I guess that means the upcoming CPython 3.0.0 ?

I'm all for future-proofing this stuff against the moving hardware, the micropython ecosystem in general being complicated enough as it is...

Anyway, I'd seen the disclaimer(s) about the present state of things before I ordered the CPX, and in my case the IR is sort of icing on the cake, not an immediate need, so I'll just stock up on popcorn and watch the show unfold :-)

Best,
fp

adafruit_support_mike

fpp wrote:Thanks for the feedback Mike. So I guess that means the upcoming CPython 3.0.0 ?
That would be an ETA.. ;-)

It's part of where we want to end up, and we'll release it when there's no good reason to wait any longer. We'll know exactly when that is about five minutes before we post the code to our Github repo.

That's how original development always works, really. Show-stopper problems can happen anywhere along the way, and have no respect for Gannt charts. When one crops up, you have to choose between fixing it now or fixing it later, and fixing it later is always worse. If you add the pressure of a scheduled ship date, both choices are bad.. if you miss the date to release something that actually works, people complain because they had to wait. If you ship what you have on the promised date, people complain because it's broken.

After you've been through that a few times, you realize WOPR had it right all along: "the only way to win is not to play."

fpp

Post by fpp »

Heh, nuthin' new under the sun... except maybe one thing : I'm not complaining :-)
Bon courage,
FP

fpp

Post by fpp »

Any IR-related hidden nugget in the upcoming CP 2.2.0 ? :-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”