What's the transmit power of the IR on the CPX?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

What's the transmit power of the IR on the CPX?

by kevinjwalters on Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:56 pm

What's the type of infrared LED and the transmit power (current) on the Circuit Playground Express board? I was pleasantly surprised by its ability to control a remote controlled light bulb without even having to point it directly.

I found the forum post Help designing infrared remote control which looks useful if I want to add more components to up the power.

kevinjwalters

Re: What's the transmit power of the IR on the CPX?

by adafruit2 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:08 pm

its an Everlight IR95-21C/TR7 or Everlight IR91-21C/TR7

adafruit2
Site Admin

by kevinjwalters on Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Thanks, I see the datasheets are the same for these numbers, max continuous forward current is 65mA and "Radiant Intensity" is (typ.) 5.0 mW/sr at 20mA. The schematic shows it (D5) without a current limiting resistor. Does it rely on D11_REMOTEOUT only producing very short pulses to limit current and stop bad-things-from-happening(tm)?

I found an Arduino infrared example which is similar and mentions:

Note that the current passing through the LED will in all likelihood will exceed the maximum continuous current rating. However because the signal is modulated and sending a sequence of pulses that will only last a few milliseconds the circuit will work fine.

kevinjwalters

by kevinjwalters on Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:19 pm

The "pulse it and do not turn it on for any length of time" discussion for infrared diode can also be found on Circuit Playground shorting? Gets really hot.

kevinjwalters

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.