What's the most complex Circuit Playground Project Ever?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

What's the most complex Circuit Playground Project Ever?

by petespaco on Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:38 pm

The subject says it.
If a person wanted to show off the Circuit Playground, as much as possible in one project, what might it be?
I mean- use as many sensors as possible and do things with as many outputs as possible.

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

petespaco

Re: What's the most complex Circuit Playground Project Ever?

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:04 am

The first two rules of hardware and code are:

1: It can always cost more.
2: It can always be more complex.

And the field is kind of open-ended since you always have to make tradeoffs between features. The most complex NeoPixel control project would spend all its time doing that, and wouldn't be able to spend time reading sensors or generating sound. The most complex audio project would spend all its time generating waveforms, and wouldn't have time to do anything with NeoPixels. The project that uses the largest possible number of sensors and outputs will have to share time among all of them, and can't do as much as a project that puts all its time and effort into doing one thing.

If you want to show off the CPX specifically, you'll probably want a project that uses as many of its features as possible. Take a look through the code for all the sensors and outputs, and try to think of ways to make them all fit together.

adafruit_support_mike

by petespaco on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:49 am

Well, I took your advice and did put a demonstration project together that uses 8 of the on-board devices, just to show the CPX off a bit.

You could see it here:
https://youtu.be/BxFv4kg5O80
And it points you to a webpage that has 4 variations of the code. Almost none of the code is my own, almost all of it comes from your Hello Circuit Playground XXX examples:
www.spaco.org/Computing/Adafruit_Circui ... esting.htm
It's not very nice code, but it works.
Oh yes--- I used that Arduino IDE. I did a lot of "shopping" for examples on the internet and on youtube, but it appears that you guys are a lot more focused on Makecode and circuitpython than on the Arduino IDE. Is that true, or is it just my poor internet search capability?

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

petespaco

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:31 am

Nice.. thanks for posting the link!

You're generally right that a lot of our focus is on CircuitPython, but that's a combination of interest and necessity. Python is generally accepted as a good language for beginners because it's more relaxed about things like type conversion and memory management than C or C++, but we have to do some things at the language level to make the code talk to external devices at all.

So there's a big step in CircuitPython's learning curve. Beginners can get experience writing code and working with hardware using the modules we've developed, but modifying those modules or creating new ones requires a lot more low-level knowledge.

The C/C++ code sits between those two levels. You have to deal with data representations and memory management, but learning how a library talks to most devices only requires a little more time and effort. Most of our Python code is based on existing C/C++ libraries we've written, in terms of structure if not through direct encapsulation.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.