Circuit Playground Bluefruit and MakeCode?

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
ponentino

Circuit Playground Bluefruit and MakeCode?

Post by ponentino »

I am working with my 8yo daughter on some projects, and it looks like MakeCode will be more practical than Code Python for her (primarily because the former looks like the Kano and Scratch setups she was already using). The unit works fine in Code Python mode with muEditor (though I am still looking for a good list of objects specific to the CP).

We have a Circuit Playground Bluefruit, and we are getting through the compiling process on MakeCode, validating, naming, and downloading the .UF2 file (we have tried both arbitrary filenames and "current," double-clicking reset, getting the "green ring," dragging it to the boot drive, and then.... nothing. The green ring stays on. If you hit reset once, the device reboots and just has the customary green and red pilot lights (and if I recall, one neopixel). I did notice that when you double-click to get the boot drive to mount, the only UF2 shown is "current."

I feel like I am missing something here - either that (1) we are somehow naming the UF2 incorrectly; (2) that the download is somehow not completing; or (3) (hopefully not) MakeCode is not compatible with the CPB.

I'm from the age of command lines, and I'm trying to figure out why the "easy" way is not working. :-)

I guess my other question is this - after compiling a UF2 to the bootloader drive using MakeCode, do you have to do a complete re-install to get Python to work subsequently? Or just reinstall a UF2 that points the device to load Python? It's a little tedious to apply the erase file, reimage, and manually add all the libraries. I've now done that a couple times to make sure these MakeCode issues are not a dead device or something.

Thanks!!!

mikeysklar

Re: Circuit Playground Bluefruit and MakeCode?

Post by mikeysklar »

If you come from a command line environment you might find it easier to start with CircuitPython over MakeCode. I realize this would be more difficult for your daughter coming from Scratch.

MakeCode is supported on the CPX Bluefruit you are using.

Pressing the 'reset' button one should get you a bootdrive CPLAYBOOT. Where you can drop in UF2 files. The LEDs being all green mean you are in bootloader mode.

You will need to fully re-install the CircuitPython UF2 and /lib libraries you are using for projects if you wipe it out. This guide is a good summary of CircuitPython on the CPX BLE.

https://learn.adafruit.com/circuitpytho ... nd-express

ponentino

Post by ponentino »

Thanks @Mikeystar. This was actually failing for a dumb reason I didn't figure out until later yesterday.

The doc pages for the various CPB variants are hyperlinked all over the place, and they link you at one point to Adafruit.makecode.com, which defaults to the wrong hardware (the Express). I think I assumed from the board shown that it knew which board I was using.

When I went to maker.makecode.com, I was able to select the CP Bluefruit version, and now everything works.

The only thing that is amiss is that activating program mode on the device takes 2 clicks on the reset button.

Again, thanks for all the help... excellent reference on how to put Python back.

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

Good feedback. Glad you are up and going with Makecode.

ktdreyer

Post by ktdreyer »

I've purchased a couple Circuit Playground Bluefruits, and it took me a while to find out that makecode.adafruit.com does not work with this board.

What is the difference between these two sites?

A) https://makecode.adafruit.com B) https://maker.makecode.com They both resolve to the same Microsoft IP address, 40.76.83.244

mikeysklar

Post by mikeysklar »

https://learn.adafruit.com/makecode-maker
makecode.adafruit.com and maker.makecode.com are editors built using the MakeCode project. In both editors, one can use drag-and-drop blocks or JavaScript to program micro-controllers.

makecode.adafruit.com specifically applies to the Adafruit Circuit Playground Express only
maker.makecode.com aims at supporting the Adafruit Express boards (and more boards from different manufacturers), with an emphasis on breadboarding support.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”