Series Wiring Solar LiIon Charger (ID 390)

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
philm7

Series Wiring Solar LiIon Charger (ID 390)

Post by philm7 »

My question is specific to only the solar panels, LiIon batteries, and the Solar LiIon Charger I purchased from Adafruit.
If I use two each of the 3.5W solar panel (product ID 500), 3.7v LiIon Battery 6600mAh (product ID 353), and the Solar LiIon Charger (product ID 390), could I safely wire the “Load” connections of the two Solar Chargers in series and produce 7.4v output to my project? I would not wire the batteries in series or the solar panels in series, only the Load output of the battery chargers going to my project.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Series Wiring Solar LiIon Charger (ID 390)

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Honestly, I don't know. None of the hardware is rated for that kind of operation, so the documentation isn't much help.

The MCP73871 does control the current that goes to the LOAD port, so as long as the two solar panels and LiPos are independent of each other, the MCP73871s could theoretically keep the LiPos from killing each other.

I doubt it would work very well though. The current through the whole system would vary depending on which LiPo and panel produces less current at any given moment. The LiPos would probably charge and discharge unevenly, and you'd want to monitor both systems to make sure neither LiPo was coming close to the end of its charge.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”