Smokin' with a Servo

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CorlettT

Re: Smokin' with a Servo

Post by CorlettT »

Please let me know if you can replicate this- we were a little TOO good at replicating it. The 2-servo robot demo gave me confidence we could get away with this- it should probably come down or get a warning if using fullsize servos is likely to waste a board. Any chance we could get some replacements for those 4 boards?

Thanks-

CorlettT

Post by CorlettT »

Correction, 5 boards, one that I thought we'd saved just floated to the top of the tank.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Tested a "standard" sized servo and it also worked. Same setup and sketch. Let it run for over 5 minutes.

CorlettT

Post by CorlettT »

So what are you concluding? This should work, but it doesn't. Sounds like we may have a defective run of boards?

Thanks-

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

we're just trying to figure out what is up - it isn't something that a defective run of boards would necessarily cause. i have a test running too with the 5010 servo, ill let it sit for a while and see how it does. please do not connect any more boards to the servo, if it doesnt work for you and it only going to break more boards :)

for the record, im running this on my circuit playground classic (rev B hardware)

Code: Select all

#include <Servo.h>

Servo myservo;  // create servo object to control a servo
// twelve servo objects can be created on most boards

int pos = 0;    // variable to store the servo position

void setup() {
  myservo.attach(12);  // attaches the servo on pin 12 to the servo object
}

void loop() {
  for (pos = 0; pos <= 180; pos += 1) { // goes from 0 degrees to 180 degrees
    // in steps of 1 degree
    myservo.write(pos);              // tell servo to go to position in variable 'pos'
    delay(15);                       // waits 15ms for the servo to reach the position
  }
  for (pos = 180; pos >= 0; pos -= 1) { // goes from 180 degrees to 0 degrees
    myservo.write(pos);              // tell servo to go to position in variable 'pos'
    delay(15);                       // waits 15ms for the servo to reach the position
  }
}

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

ran it for a few hours and nothing happened

are you using only one servo for all these tests? maybe its the servo thats breaking things?

CorlettT

Post by CorlettT »

No, we tried this with ten different servos and had the issue multiple separate reproducible times.

What's the path forward here? I'd love to continue to use CP, especially because the students are already using them- but if there's no determination on what happened or why, I think we'll have to send back all the circuit playgrounds we bought, you can credit our account, and we can buy something that we know will move a servo.

Thanks-

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

you can return them, dont use Circuit playground for this project - thx!

CorlettT

Post by CorlettT »

Hi, I think I have relevant info. I just realized the silkscreen on these boards says "Circuit Playground Developer Edition". Did we get an older beta version of the board?

Thanks-

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

@adafruit2 is better suited to say if the "Developer Edition" vs. "Classic" labeling is anything more than just cosmetic.

But I used a "Developer Edition" board when I did my testing. So I don't think that's the issue.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”