Network Interface Error on Circuit Playground
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Network Interface Error on Circuit Playground

by liz_mangelsdorf on Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:50 pm

I am teaching the code.org Discovery class, and my students keep getting this message: ""A new network interface has been detected"
I have tried to go to the network panel, and clicking "apply" to accept the serial port, but it just keeps on happening. Help! Interfering with my class!

Thanks!

liz_mangelsdorf

Re: Network Interface Error on Circuit Playground

by Brad_Buchanan on Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:18 pm

Brad from Code.org here. Liz contacted us first but I've directed her to the forums here because we haven't seen this issue before.

Liz, I'm going to add some details here - please correct me if I get any of these wrong. You said you are seeing this message when you plug the Circuit Playground into the iMacs in your lab. The exact message in the dialog that pops up is:

A new network interface has been detected.
The "Circuit Playground" network interface has not been set up. To set up this interface, use Network Preferences.
[ Cancel ] [ Network Preferences... ]

Since you are teaching our course, it's likely that you are using Circuit Playground Classic boards (not Circuit Playground Express) - can you confirm that?

Brad
Code.org Engineering

Brad_Buchanan

by liz_mangelsdorf on Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:22 pm

Yes, I am using the classic.

liz_mangelsdorf

by Brad_Buchanan on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:17 pm

(Bump!) We've been hunting for a solution to this and still haven't found one.

This issue may not be isolated to Circuit Playground; I've found reports of a similar message appearing when plugging in a Thunderbolt display or an iOS device. That said, listed solutions haven't worked in this case:

• Click "Network Preferences...", and when it opens, simply click "Apply." In theory this accepts the serialport connection with the board so it can work with that computer.
  • Select the (+) plus symbol in Network. Hit the USB option in that dropdown. Then hit the little gear icon next to the minus sign ( - ) and the gear icon will have a “make this service inactive”. Then select the usb option and hit the gear icon and make it inactive.

I'm also not sure why OSX would see Circuit Playground Classic as a network interface in the first place. Any information from the team or others that have seen this issue before would be helpful. Thank you!

Brad_Buchanan

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:10 am

OS X sees the USB Serial connection as a USB modem. That was the easiest way to piggyback communication with a microcontroller into existing OS services.

I'm not sure why OS X would pop up an alert about the new device being detected instead of just setting up the connection. It might be related to the security settings on the computers, if the login accounts the kids are using don't have admin privileges.

If that's the case, switching over to an admin account and plugging the Circuit Playground in should set up the device automatically. Then, hopefully, the existing device will be recognized when you plug it in from a user account without admin privileges.

adafruit_support_mike

by Brad_Buchanan on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:13 pm

Thanks Mike! Liz, can you give that a try and let us know if it works for you?

Brad_Buchanan

by liz_mangelsdorf on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:52 pm

It works! I had to take off the parental controls on the user's account. It can be either a standard or admin user, but the network interface problem continually pops up if you put on parental controls.

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. We were on spring break.

Thanks!

liz_mangelsdorf

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:35 am

Ah, that would do it.

The goal of parental controls is to make things like that as visible as possible. If you can circumvent restrictions on WiFi by plugging in a modem, it defeats the purpose of having the system locked down.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.