New CPX from Adabox 008 bricked?

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
unawoo

New CPX from Adabox 008 bricked?

Post by unawoo »

I've been checking out the various IDE's for the CPX, Make Code and Circuit Python worked fine, then tried the Arduino IDE.
Now it seems bricked. It shows up in windows Device Manager and the Arduino IDE but when I upload a sketch a "No device found on com 15" error occurs. The CPX no longer shows up as a drive, when plugging it in the USB cable all lights go green and the red light fades and pressing the reset button runs the last Make Code program.
Ouch! my 008 party was just starting.
Five hours later and no result, the Circuit Playground Express board just no longer shows up as a drive.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: New CPX from Adabox 008 bricked?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

It sounds like the USB code has crashed, which happens sometimes.

Enabble verbose messages during upload in the Arduino IDE's preferences, connect the Circuit Playground to the computer, then upload a sketch without bothering to select Serial port. When you see the line bbeginning with 'PORTS' start to scroll past, double-click the Circuit Playground's reset button to force the microcontroller to relaunch the bootloader.

That usually gets things back in sync.

unawoo

Post by unawoo »

Hi Mike,
Saw that info in a tutorial last night, tried it and it doesn't work, but i did get the message saying "unsupported ARM7TDMI architecture" and "chip ID : 0x30455553" if that is any help to you.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

We've seen that error message before..

Try using the UF2 bootloader update from this post:

viewtopic.php?f=60&t=114694&start=15#p581201

unawoo

Post by unawoo »

how can i use the bootloader when my CPX doesn't show up as a drive?

unawoo

Post by unawoo »

Here is what i get from the arduino ide:

Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Adafruit Circuit Playground Express"

Build options changed, rebuilding all
Archiving built core (caching) in: C:\Users\jgg\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_cache_524313\core\core_adafruit_samd_adafruit_circuitplayground_m0_62305b62e60c977601fab944b44ec708.a
Sketch uses 11532 bytes (4%) of program storage space. Maximum is 262144 bytes.
PORTS {COM1, COM8, COM9, COM15, } / {COM1, COM8, COM9, COM15, } => {}
PORTS {COM1, COM8, COM9, COM15, } / {COM1, COM8, COM9, } => {}
PORTS {COM1, COM8, COM9, } / {COM1, COM8, COM9, } => {}
PORTS {COM1, COM8, COM9, } / {COM1, COM8, COM9, COM15, } => {COM15, }
Found upload port: COM15
C:\Users\jgg\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\bossac\1.7.0/bossac -i -d --port=COM15 -U true -i -e -w -v C:\Users\jgg\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_836371/ESP_ultrasonic.ino.bin -R
No device found on COM15
Set binary mode
readWord(addr=0)=0x5553
readWord(addr=0xe000ed00)=0
readWord(addr=0x400e0740)=0x53000000
version()=BSU00000,4#
chipId=0x53000000
Unsupported processor
Send auto-baud
Set binary mode
readWord(addr=0)=0x342c3034
readWord(addr=0xe000ed00)=0x42530023
readWord(addr=0x400e0740)=0x30455553
version()=740,4#
chipId=0x30455553
Unsupported ARM7TDMI architecture
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

If you double-click do you see CPLAYBOOT as a drive? With MakeCode you see CPLAYBOOT with a single-click, but with Arduino and CircuitPython, you need a double-click. If you see CPLAYBOOT, just load a MakeCode program or reinstall the CircuitPython .uf2 file, and you should be OK.

unawoo

Post by unawoo »

The CPX never shows up as a drive, that is the problem.
When i plug in the usb cord all the lights turn green and the red light fades, looks like it's in booloader mode but the computer does not see it as a drive. If i press the reset button once it runs the last makecode program i loaded and i never see CPLAYBOOT drive.
I think i need a new board.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

Even if you double-click it, you see no drive?

Are you running Kaspersky anti-virus? We've seen significant troubles with it recently.

Could you test this with a known good USB cable, and could you test on other available computers, especially a non-Windows machine? Make sure you double-click. Thanks.

unawoo

Post by unawoo »

Getting somewhere Dan,

Hooked it up to a Raspberry pi3 running Raspbian and it shows up as a CPLAYBOOT drive!
There are 3 files in the drive:
CURRENT.UF2 -
a uf2 file 512kb long.

INDEX.HTM -
starts the browser and goes to the CPX page on Adafruit.

INFO_UF2.txt -
UF2 Bootloader v 2.0.0_adafruit.5 SFHWRO
Model: CplayExpress
Board-ID: SAM21G18A-CPLAY-v0

So what should I do now?

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

So it's acting fine -- there's some issue on your Windows machine, fairly obviously.

Some possibilities:

1. If you were connecting it to a USB3 port, try a USB2 port or interpose a USB2 hub. However, usually USB3 is fine (it's fine for me on my Dell desktops and laptops).

2. We've seen issues sometimes if you are running an Acronis backup program, or if in fact you ever had one installed, even as a trial: they do not uninstall cleanly.

3. What is your anti-virus program, if any?

4. Did you change anything about the Windows machine between when you could see CPLAYBOOT or CIRCUITPY and now? Did you install drivers for other devices? Did you stop seeing CPLAYBOOT immediately after installing Arduino, or did that not affect it?

5. Try re-installing CircuitPython on the board using the RPi. Does CIRCUITPY show up on the Windows machine when you plug it in to there?

unawoo

Post by unawoo »

well first i'm not using Acronis or an antivirus program, using a USB2 port with a verified cable.
On windows 10 and a borrowed windows 7 with the proper drivers the board does not connect.
So i installed linux mint 19 on the windows 10 machine and everything works fine there.
When i got it it was working on windows 10 until i tried it on the arduino ide.
Really would like to use it on windows.

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

I'm sorry this has been so much trouble. Let me ask a few specific questions to see if we can narrow down this problem:

1. After you were able to see CPLAYBOOT on either the RPi or Linux Mint, did you reload CircuitPython and then try the board again on either Windows machine?

2. Did you install the Arduino IDE after trying CircuitPython and MakeCode? I want to know if installing the Arduino IDE is coincident with CPLAYBOOT not appearing.

3. On the borrowed Windows 7 machine, did you install the Arduino IDE at all, or just the drivers?

4. When the board is connected to Windows 10, in bootloader mode (all green NeoPixels, with pulsing red LED), could you open Device manager (right-click on the Start Menu button to find it)? Do you see any yellow triangle devices showing up? Could you open the "Disk drives" section and the "Ports" section, and any "Unknown devices" section, and take a screenshot of that?

unawoo

Post by unawoo »

Hi,

1- I did re-load CircuitPython and tried it on windows 7 and 10, not working.
2- The Arduino ide was installed on windows 10 a long time ago and i keep it updated, i also have a ESP 32 and an nrf52 that i use with it, never any problems.
3- I did install the full arduino ide on the windows 7 laptop and updated the boards and libraries.
4- No yellow triangle in device manager, here is the screenshot:
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (291.5 KiB) Viewed 216 times

danhalbert

Post by danhalbert »

Is that screenshot of Device Manager from Windows 10? On Windows 10, the board should not be displaying as "Circuit Playground Express", but would just be "USB Serial Device" both in CPLAYBOOT (all green, pulsing LED) and and when CircuitPython is running. The COMxx values would be different between the two.

I think you may have some old drivers installed on the Windows 10 machine. Unplug the CPX. Search for "Control Panel" in the Cortana search box or in the Settings window. You will get an older Windows-7-style Control Panel. Go to "Programs" -> "Uninstall a Program". Then from there uninstall any drivers labeled Adafruit.

Alternatively (especially if you don't see any Adafruit drivers), go to Device Manager, then Ports, and right click on "Adafruit Circuit Playground Express (COM15)". Choose uninstall Device, and when the dialog box comes up, check the box that says "Delete the driver software for this device". and click OK. It will look something like the below (pic swiped from elsewhere, so I crossed out the device name).

Then plug the board back in, wait for any automatic installation, and then double-click again to get to CPLAYBOOT. It should install solely as a "USB Serial Device", and hopefully you will see CPLAYBOOT in the list of drives.

You could have old drivers because you installed an older version of our drivers package that didn't handle Windows 10 properly, or because you upgraded the machine from Windows 7 and the old drivers were still around.
Selection_193.png
Selection_193.png (21.64 KiB) Viewed 205 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”