Circuit Playground Express - wont configure - Adabox008

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
fhayes

Circuit Playground Express - wont configure - Adabox008

Post by fhayes »

Circuit Playground Express - won't configure.
I received Adabox008. Thank you. I cannot update .uf2 or connect drive letter for the CPX. Device shows up in device manager as COM42.
I updated / replaced Adafruit Drivers. Same failure mode via two different Windows 10 laptops - I don't think that drivers or cables are the issue. I had a second CPX from Adabox006. That 2nd device upgraded and connected without issues.

Any further debugging to be performed on the device from Adabox008 that is not working?

One further thought. The working CPX made sounds when 1st connected and flashed the NeoPixels (I had not previously used it). The non-working CPX from Adabox008 had flashing Neopixels but no sound. The non-working CPX did go into bootloader mode (all green NeoPixels).

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Circuit Playground Express - wont configure - Adabox008

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

There have been some known issues with drivers and Windows 10. Try reading through this post and see if any of that helps:
viewtopic.php?f=58&t=138649#p685788

fhayes

Post by fhayes »

Thank you for responding. I had previously read the referenced post and removed/reloaded Windows Adafruit drivers. This did not correct the problem with the non-operative CPX. Also, as stated in my 1st post, a 2nd CPX was successfully upgraded and connected to the Windows 10 laptop. When the 2nd CPX is connected, both a COM: port and drive letter result. This indicates to me that the Windows 10 Adafruit drivers and the USB cable are not at fault on the Windows 10 laptop; rather the problem lies with the CPX that was provided in Adabox008.

Is there any tests/actions that can be run on the non-operative CPX itself?

Nonetheless; I will follow the recommendations regarding deleting and reloading Windows 10 Adafruit drivers.
Last edited by fhayes on Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

adafruit_support_carter

Is there any tests/actions that can be run on the non-operative CPX itself?
The easiest test is to see if you can get into bootloader mode. You mention in your first post that it did not do that. Were you following this process?
https://learn.adafruit.com/welcome-to-c ... oader-3-12
Note - sometimes it can be tricky to get the double tap right.

ralbury

Post by ralbury »

I have several circuit playground expresses, "I can stop anytime, really!", and was experiencing similar problems. To get around the problem I had to remove all the old drivers and then for each one after plugging it in and double clicking I had to go into device manager, locate it under ports, and select "update driver" in order for them to work correctly. Once that was done, I had to single click the reset button to get it out of the bootloader and then double click it to put it back in the bootloader. From that point onward, they have worked as expected everytime I plug them in.

Prior to the above, after double clicking they didn't appear as the 'CPLAYBOOT' drive and I was unable to program them using the Arduino IDE. Once the driver update was done, double clicking gave me the 'CPLAYBOOT' drive and I could successfully use the Arduino IDE to program them.

adafruit_support_carter

@ralbury Thanks. I think that's related to the same behavior / issue / fix I linked in my first response.

fhayes

Post by fhayes »

"What a difference a day makes" or "Humbled by Microcontrollers yet again"

The CPX included in Adabox008 has miraculously self-healed.
Thank you for support and responses.
Yesterday, I could consistently get the CPX to fail in two different laptops. Following recommendations on this forum did not correct. A second CPX from Adabox006 worked. This implied to me that the newer CPX was the issue.

Today I plugged the CPX into the Windows 10 laptop to follow the latest instructions/recommendations. Lo and behold, Windows 10 reported it was configuring a new device and soon a new drive letter appeared. All is sweetness and light.

I'm only chagrined that (once again) a simple SAMD21 has proved to be smarter than me.

adafruit_support_carter

Awesome. Glad you go it working. If it starts acting up again, let us know. As you can see from that post I linked, there has been some issues with drivers getting confused and wrapped around the axle. Enjoy and have fun!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”