Flora board connection issues

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
javathunderman

Flora board connection issues

Post by javathunderman »

Hi,

I just bought a new Adafruit Flora board, and I haven't been able to get it working successfully. When I plug it into a USB port, the board seems to be getting power (the green PWR LED is illuminated), but there is no other output from the board. The Arduino IDE also does not recognize the board (the "port" menu under "Tools" is grayed out), and I have tried to connect to it on both Windows and Linux (Ubuntu) systems with the appropriate drivers/packages installed (including the Windows drivers and the board manager add-on in both installations of the Arduino IDE).

Previously, I was able to at least get the board to be recognized in the IDE on my Linux machine, and the red LED did light up, but after disconnecting it doesn't light up anymore (unless I try to reset the board, which makes the red LED pulse a few times).

Is there anything I can try to fix this?

Thanks,

-javathunderman.

dastels

Re: Flora board connection issues

Post by dastels »

Verify that you have a data/sync USB cable and not a charge-only one.

Do you have the board support installed in the IDE for the flora?

Finally, read the Flora guide if you haven't: https://learn.adafruit.com/getting-started-with-flora.

Dave

javathunderman

Post by javathunderman »

Hi Dave,

I am using a data enabled USB cable and the IDE does have board support for Flora installed. I've read through the Flora guide but I haven't seen anything describing this behavior.

Thanks,

-javathunderman.

javathunderman

Post by javathunderman »

Update: I'm able to see the board pop up under "ports" in the IDE immediately after I hit the reset button on the board. However, as soon as the red LED stops pulsing (I think this means that the board is finished rebooting), it disappears from the list of available ports. It's also mounting under /dev/ttyACM0, not the usual /dev/ttyUSB0.

javathunderman

Post by javathunderman »

Seems like whatever code was running on the Flora was corrupted. As soon as I hit the reset button, the board would momentarily pop up in the Arduino IDE, and after doing this a few times, I managed to upload the "Blink" sketch while the board was visible to my system. After that the board started working normally. It reports its name as "Adafruit FLORA" under "get board info", and the serial monitor/onboard LED work just fine.

dastels

Post by dastels »

Something corrupted crashing the USB stack is certainly possible. On Linux, I've found that it always comes up as /dev/ttyACMx, but on Mac it's /dev/ttyUSBx.

Glad it's behaving for you now.,

Dave

Fishe

Post by Fishe »

Thanx... I remember having to do this with trinket a few years ago.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”