circuit playground bluefruit audio issue

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Dmessier

circuit playground bluefruit audio issue

Post by Dmessier »

Having fun with bluefruit playground and Gizmo display (graphics work great!). Using CircuitPython 5.0.0 beta 2 & bundle libs. I am using the latest audio to play wav files. Work greats until try to use both graphics and sound. If I attempt to play a wav file after enabling the display (display.show(splash)) I only get audio noise through the speaker. Any suggestions? Possible port conflict with Gizmo? or memory issue? (BMP is 58k, audio is 77k). Again everything works great, but not together. Can play wav files successfully until the display.show line.

Thanks,
Dave

Dmessier

Re: circuit playground bluefruit audio issue

Post by Dmessier »

Update: Problem solved. I was enabling and hiding display elements (using group 'hidden' attribute) at the same time I was playing wav sound effects. This led to the stream of audio noise. By adding a delay (time.sleep) following display changes but before sound actions, the issue went away.

kevinjwalters

Post by kevinjwalters »

I think I've noted a similar issue with doing (too much?) displayio operations with audio running at the same time. Mine works, it's just a bit choppy if I make my sprites too big, see Choppy audio with wav and displayio graphics at same time. I'm using adafruit_imageload. Were you using OnDiskBitmap?

kevinjwalters

Post by kevinjwalters »

I've just spent ten minutes puzzling over another strange effect. I was getting rather cool arcade type noises when I pressed the right button on a CPB with a TFT Gizmo. My code was playing audio samples but it runs a stop() method so that didn't seem likely unless there was a pretty quirky bug somewhere.

Turns out it's my finger! If it's accidentally pressed firmly enough between A1 and AUDIO screw heads then it conducts enough for some of the A1 data to go to the AUDIO output. This also acts as an input in this case to the CPB's (enabled) amplifer so it's audible on the CPB's onboard speaker. It depends how you hold the device as to whether this happens. I've noticed this sort of thing before but never this loud.

I find I also have to be more careful with a CPB with a Gizmo attached as the protruding screw heads make it easier to short out, e.g. if you have it side-by-side with a Gizmo-less CPB it can ride up over that CPB's pads.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”