Adafruit STEMMA Speaker

Play with it! Please tell us which board you're using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jimk123

Adafruit STEMMA Speaker

Post by jimk123 »

I saw this product Adafruit STEMMA Speaker - Plug and Play Audio Amplifier PRODUCT ID: 3885 https://www.adafruit.com/product/3885 and the learning guide https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-stemma-speaker only has examples for CircuitPython. Would this work on an Arduino board ? I was hoping to get a little better sound than the piezo buzzer. Any code examples for Arduino ?
thanks

dastels

Re: Adafruit STEMMA Speaker

Post by dastels »

CircuitPython is the big thing. But this board is completely independent of software, it just takes an audio signal. So any code that generates audio in C++ will do, you just connect the breakout's signal input to it (and ground and power, of course).

Dave

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

So it would work with the arduino tone command ?
Thanks

dastels

Post by dastels »

Just connect power/gnd and the input signal to whatever pin you are generating the tone on.

Dave

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Thanks Dave

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

So I bought this and used this tutorial: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ard ... ng-a-scale
hooking up gnd-gnd , power-arduino 5v, signal to pin 12 in the tutorial
I worked great for the demo (code is only running once in 'setup')
then I moved it into 'loop' so it would play over and over
after about 2-3 minutes there was that distinctive burning smell coming from the speaker and then it got all distorted
:(

dastels

Post by dastels »

Ugh. How was the sound up until when the magic smoke visited?

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

it sounded great ! lol way better than a simple piezo device. The speaker was also getting very warm to touch. Thinking about it now i am not sure if it was just because it because the power pins where attached to 5v/gnd or the fact it was playing over and over, either way it's toast. Maybe if it runs on 3.3v ?

dastels

Post by dastels »

No, the product page says 3-5v so it should have been ok.

Does it do anything now (i.e. once it cooled off)? Also, what was the gain/volume set to?

Dave

jimk123

Post by jimk123 »

Hi Dave,
it still works but the sound is distorted. It seems like if I leave power applied it does not overheat but the speaker gets very warm when I play the sample tone code in the loop section. As far as the potentiometer it appears to be on the loudest setting.

it was not an expensive device at $6 so I"ll try another one and set the gain down a little. It maybe ok for an occasional 'beep', just not running a melody over and over in a loop. It also looks like adafruit sells just the speaker "Mini Oval Speaker - 8 Ohm 1 Watt PRODUCT ID: 3923" https://www.adafruit.com/product/3923 so I'll try a new speaker since it just clips on with a jst connector

dastels

Post by dastels »

OK. There could have been some damage to the speaker. But that shouldn't happen; they should be robst enough to handle ongoing use... they are used in the PyBadge and PyGamer designs.

Dave

supersport

Post by supersport »

jimk123 wrote:Hi Dave,
it still works but the sound is distorted. It seems like if I leave power applied it does not overheat but the speaker gets very warm when I play the sample tone code in the loop section. As far as the potentiometer it appears to be on the loudest setting.

it was not an expensive device at $6 so I"ll try another one and set the gain down a little. It maybe ok for an occasional 'beep', just not running a melody over and over in a loop. It also looks like adafruit sells just the speaker "Mini Oval Speaker - 8 Ohm 1 Watt PRODUCT ID: 3923" https://www.adafruit.com/product/3923 so I'll try a new speaker since it just clips on with a jst connector
jimk123, I'm experiencing nearly the exact same issue...new STEMMA speaker, worked fine for a while, and now it sounds like it's blown out. I was using 5v to power, and had the volume on the factory setting. Was using simpleio.tone() to play Ode to Joy, and I think i just overdid it. I'm thinking for my backup speaker (always buy a spare!) I'll turn down the volume first.

Before I risk an issue, did this end up working for you?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Circuit Playground Classic, Circuit Playground Express, Circuit Playground Bluefruit”