Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Can't Upload Arduino Code Onto Circuit Playground Classic
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Can't Upload Arduino Code Onto Circuit Playground Classic

by AJ_ on Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:17 am

So I finally got around to trying out my new circuit playground classic. I was following the introductory instructions for the arduino Blink example https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-circuit-playground/set-up-test-arduino and it was able to compile the code just fine, but when it came to uploading, I noticed the board would completely disconnect from my computer and the reset button wouldn't work. I plugged it back in and tried the suggested pressing twice while uploading and the device was recognized, but I kept receiving this:
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
Sketch uses 8918 bytes (31%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28672 bytes.
Global variables use 926 bytes of dynamic memory.
Forcing reset using 1200bps open/close on port COM6
PORTS {COM3, COM6, } / {COM3, } => {}
PORTS {COM3, } / {COM3, } => {}
PORTS {COM3, } / {COM3, COM6, } => {COM6, }
Found upload port: COM6
C:\Users\ajs60\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/bin/avrdude -CC:\Users\ajs60\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf -v -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -PCOM6 -b57600 -D -Uflash:w:C:\Users\ajs60\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_127206/Blink.ino.hex:i

avrdude: Version 6.3-20190619
         Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Brian Dean, http://www.bdmicro.com/
         Copyright (c) 2007-2014 Joerg Wunsch

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\ajs60\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino17/etc/avrdude.conf"

Using Port                    : COM6
         Using Programmer              : avr109
         Overriding Baud Rate          : 57600
         AVR Part                      : ATmega32U4
         Chip Erase delay              : 9000 us
         PAGEL                         : PD7
         BS2                           : PA0
         RESET disposition             : dedicated
         RETRY pulse                   : SCK
         serial program mode           : yes
         parallel program mode         : yes
         Timeout                       : 200
         StabDelay                     : 100
         CmdexeDelay                   : 25
         SyncLoops                     : 32
         ByteDelay                     : 0
         PollIndex                     : 3
         PollValue                     : 0x53
         Memory Detail                 :

Block Poll               Page                       Polled
           Memory Type Mode Delay Size  Indx Paged  Size   Size #Pages MinW  MaxW   ReadBack
           ----------- ---- ----- ----- ---- ------ ------ ---- ------ ----- ----- ---------
           eeprom        65    20     4    0 no       1024    4      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           flash         65     6   128    0 yes     32768  128    256  4500  4500 0x00 0x00
           lfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           hfuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           efuse          0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           lock           0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0  9000  9000 0x00 0x00
           calibration    0     0     0    0 no          1    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00
           signature      0     0     0    0 no          3    0      0     0     0 0x00 0x00

Programmer Type : butterfly
         Description     : Atmel AppNote AVR109 Boot Loader

Connecting to programmer: .avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding

avrdude: butterfly_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: ser_send(): write error: sorry no info avail
Found programmer: Id = "V"; type = @
    Software Version = �.v; Hardware Version = �.
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
avrdude: initialization failed, rc=-1
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override
         this check.

avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: leave prog mode
avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: exit bootloader

avrdude done.  Thank you.

the selected serial port
 does not exist or your board is not connected

I looked through several forums and a lot of them boiled down to the "press the reset button twice" solution. Tried that and keep getting the same results. This is what I have done so far (I am using Windows 10 and Arduino 1.8.10):

• I selected the board "Adafruit Circuit Playground" and made sure the library "Adafruit Circuit Playground" was installed
  • Enabled verbose output during upload so I could make sure I reset the board at the right time
  • Installed both AVR and SAMD boards on the "Boards Manager" option
  • I have tried this numerous times with and without the drivers installed on the port I am uploading to
  • Tried using different ports (both usb 2.0 and 3.0) and different microUSB cables
  • Noticed on the back it said "ATmega32U4", so I selected the programmer option "Arduino as ISP (ATmega32U4)" and tried "Upload Using Programmer", but kept getting results like this even after fiddling around with a few things
    Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0xc9

I should also note that when I press the reset button twice while uploading, the red light that indicates it's in bootloader mode flashes a few times, then it returns to the flashing multi-color ring routine it did when I plugged it in for the first time. Just seems no matter what I try, it keeps coming back to a programmer not responding. I have some circuit playground projects I want to try out, but if I can't get an example sketch to upload on the board, then I am kinda stuck. I'm still fairly new with the circuit playground and it's been awhile since I had to use arduino, so I'm not sure if I am missing something obvious or if something is wrong with my board. Any help would be appreciated.

AJ_

Re: Can't Upload Arduino Code Onto Circuit Playground Classi

by franklin97355 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:53 am

Have you set the board to adafruit circuit playground and tried loading the blink sketch?

franklin97355

by AJ_ on Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:24 am

franklin97355 wrote:Have you set the board to adafruit circuit playground and tried loading the blink sketch?

Yes I did and I still got the error.

AJ_

by theodoros on Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:28 am

Any luck?

theodoros

by JackZGMF2 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:36 am

Having the same issue with a classic board. The board still works it's currently running the last sketch loaded, which was the hello sound sensor. It connects to the computer and serial monitor, but I can't upload any new sketches. I've tried all form of update, reinstall, programmer, cable, computer, operating system and IDE configurations with no luck. I can use my CPE boards with no issue but the classic just hangs there. This seems to be a common problem with no solution, but if someone could change that I would appreciate it. I don't want to part out this board, I've resisted on my last two part runs lol. Thank you.

JackZGMF2

by JackZGMF2 on Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:26 am

NVM I got it working (been trying for a week). It took a few COM changes and a well timed bootloader reset (which hasn't worked before). I can finally take this out of the parts bin!!

JackZGMF2

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.